all my film camera friends

went back to the camera store today (again) .. just our luck B&H photo was closed :? ... does someone have a hex on us :lol:

went to a couple of "pawn" shops and small electronic stores and they were a bunch of rip-offs :x

so, we came home empty-handed again :cry: ... we were looking at the rebel, the elan and the hubby brought up the vivitar

guess if we're in the mood, were gonna go tomorrow .. but we're gonna call first :?

oh, we met a young lady, photography student who was also looking at a camera (she bought a canon rebel 2000) ... i gave her my card and wrote the photoforum link on the back :p ... i wonder if she shows up around these parts

As far as your film goes, I had been shooting Tri-x and T-max for a LONG time...and just these last few months one of the teachers at school forced us to try some new fims that we hadn't used before...So I tried Ilford....mmmmm... The difference is so amazing, Right now I mostly shoot on Ilford 125, but I have shot both 3200 and the 50 and had amazing results from all of them... so just go out, buy a bunch of different film, and shoot it all, see what you like best, what gives you the results you like. As for your camera...I can't help a whole lot there, I shoot on a Minolta x370s and a maxxum5, so i don't have any experience with any of the cameras that you have been looking at, but good luck with it!

~Andrew~

alright, i got the Canon Rebel X .. good price ($79 used) :D with a 3 month warranty from b&h ... got some ilford b&w (400 iso) ... i've shot about 2 rolls already ... this should be fun :lol:

but promise to not laugh if i screw this up :lmao:

the hubby got a camera he ordered on ebay ... and getting another one (both film)

So did you get the equipment to process the black and white? It's real easy.

The plastic reels are easiest. You should be able to find the tank and reel which will work with medium format too. Cost is about $20.

Chemicals are pretty cheap. You'll have to decided on a developer. But many good choices. Stop bath is cheap. I use Ilford Rapid fix. Don't really think it matters what brand you get.

we got all the stuff to develop film too... A Jobo tank, Ilford chemicals, changing bag etc. Haven't done it in 15+ years though. :?

As far as the Bessa goes - I have ordered a russian lens already. I'm watching an auction on ebay (ends tomorrow) otherwise I'm going to pick the cam up here in NY next week.

Next will be a film scanner I guess.

Dew, you got a great cam for 79 dollars. I like the ergonomics of the Elan more, but and newer rebel will work just great for b&w. I have only shot B&W with my Elan and i am really happy with Canon's quality. I too have been looking at a Rebel to use when i am afraid to whip out the more expensive Elan. I am going to go to Marti Gras this year and i want a cam that won't get ripped off or broke, so i will prolly end up going manual like an AE-1 or T-50 or something. But at 79 dollars an automatic is tempting.

i developed film for the first time today :D ... i got the hang of it ;) ... now im waiting for the hubby to dish out the cash for a full darkroom with an enlarger so we can have a full lab going over here :roll:

... u guys can send all your negs to "Doxx & Dew" film lab :afro:

Just a little tid-bit of advice i've picked up about developing film in the past. IF you want to save some money, you can use vinegar instead of stop bath. THey're the same thing except stop bath will change colors when it goes bad. But if you're going to be using a lot of chemicals then this might save a lot of money

picked up my camera (Bessa R, silver) yesterday and had the lens (a russian Jupiter 8, 50mm f2) in the mail today :p
Sure enough I took that 'lil rangefinder downtown to take a few pics.
The Bessa is nice small camera, the viewfinder is simply awesome...
It was coooooold out there, so I didn't finish the roll (TMax 400). Can't wait to finish that 1st roll and develop it - I'm curious to see how the old lens performs. 8)

Ive had my new Minolta Maxxum HTsi for about half a week now and today I used up my first roll *kodak 400, its what I got, hehe*. Should be interesting to see what I will get from it. I mostly did 30 second exposures and multiple exposures with this roll. Ill send it to be developed tomorrow and should get it back in like 5 days.

doxx said:
picked up my camera (Bessa R, silver) yesterday and had the lens (a russian Jupiter 8, 50mm f2) in the mail today :p
Sure enough I took that 'lil rangefinder downtown to take a few pics.
The Bessa is nice small camera, the viewfinder is simply awesome...
It was coooooold out there, so I didn't finish the roll (TMax 400). Can't wait to finish that 1st roll and develop it - I'm curious to see how the old lens performs. 8)
That viefinder is awesome! Brighter than Leica's :D Wish I had one actually. I would prefer it to my slr for a lot of tasks. I love the way it feels in my hand.

So you gonna save up and get a nice sharp Leica lens?

if I'm able to afford Leica glass someday, I might as well get a M6 TTL. Btw, the Jupiter is a copy of an early Leica/Zeiss lens. The Russians 'stole' the German Zeiss/Leica factories after WW2 and produced Leica/Contax cameras and lens copies.
Lack of quality control back then turns it kinda into gambling in our days.
They say the earlier models are better than the newer ones...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back