All of you are geniuses...

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by kkw93msu2010, Jan 1, 2016.

1. kkw93msu2010

kkw93msu2010 TPF Noob!

...and I need some help.

Let me first start off by saying I'm as beginner as beginner gets. Other than my phone, I've never owned a camera . Which brings me here.

My husband and I are stationed overseas and plan to do some traveling in a few months and I'd love a great camera to take photos with. (And have for years and years to eventually take family photos, etc with) The information available is daunting, and I'm left more confused than when I started looking.

I've narrowed it down to a mirrorless, as it's much more compact than a dslr (easy for extensive traveling), but I haven't made it much further. A friend recommended the LUMIX GX7, however, another friend said to not get anything under 20MP with current technology and price.

I've watched about 20 YouTube videos and spent hours reading review sites only to realize there are tons of great cameras, depending on your preference. I am currently restricted to a 5 mile radius with zero camera stores, so what I order will be what I use.

I literally know nothing and could really use all the help I can get. I'd like a quick point and shoot under $1000 that will last year's and years with the options of more lenses, should I figure out what the hell in doing.

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!!!
    Kim

2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Firstly welcome to tpf. I'm no jenius, I have owned a few cameras.The under 20mp advice is not great. The Linux gx7 is a nice camera. At the moment you can buy an olympus EM5 for small money because there is a mark2 version out. This is a very high spec camera, weather sealed, uses olympus and panasonic m43 lenses which are plentiful and many of very high quality

• Like Like x 2
  3. cherylynne1

cherylynne1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, first of all, unless you do intense cropping or plan to regularly print larger than 12x16, you'll be fine with 12 or 16 mp. Don't stress about that if you really love the Lumix.

From what you've said, I'm not sure you really need a camera with interchangeable lenses...it seems like you want one in case "someday" you decide you need it. The thing is, it's always best to buy what matches your current needs, rather than potential future needs. If your plan is to purchase a camera and not upgrade from the kit lens for three or four years, it might be best to get a compact camera for now and wait to get a mirrorless until you're ready to buy lenses, since there will undoubtedly be newer and better versions by then.

The best travel camera in my opinion is the Sony RX-100 mk III or mk IV. It's a point and shoot, but it has a large sensor with a fantastic lens (it's a Carl Zeiss!) attached. It is a huge step up from a camera phone. It's incredibly tiny and can easily fit in your pocket.

If you have your heart set on interchangeable, I have the Sony a6000 and I love it. With your budget, you can probably afford the camera, kit lens, and possibly even a prime like the 35mm 1.8, which is my favorite...it almost never leaves the camera. It has a larger sensor and will do a little better than the LUMIX g7 in low light situations.

DPReview is considered one of the best digital camera reviewers, so here's their take on the cameras in this price range:

2015 Roundup: Interchangeable Lens Cameras $500-800

And if you decide you won't be changing lenses often, here is their list of best travel compacts:

DPReview Recommends: Best compact cameras for travel 2015

If you have more specific needs, let us know! There's no perfect camera, just the best camera for each person's needs. So if there's something you really need your camera to do, let us know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. kkw93msu2010

kkw93msu2010 TPF Noob!

5. kkw93msu2010

kkw93msu2010 TPF Noob!

Thank you!

I am looking to have the ability to print large pictures. I would be happy with the ability to print a fantastic picture of 36" X 36". However, in an ideal world, I would like to print larger. Do you think a camera with a fixed lens would be good for that? The size of print and desired image quality is the main reason of looking into mirrorless cameras.

6. jaomul

Photos OK to edit
    Above recommended the sony A6000. I recommended that camera to a guy on the form here a few months ago and he's very happy with this. The reason I said the em5 was primarily because yo want it for travel (its small and weather sealed)

Printing big- will you actually print 36 x 36 inch prints?

In theory you need 300 pixels per inch for a great print, but larger prints can be less due viewing distance. 10 years ago billboards were done with 10mp or less.

In reality with software and proper technique, I don;t think a 16mp camera will hold you back. I recently seen a 6mp photo printed a metre wide. Up very close of course flaws were detectable, but as a hanging large print it was great

7. kkw93msu2010

kkw93msu2010 TPF Noob!

Yes! I know that's a large print, but I paint and my canvases are usually atleast 36". I really enjoy large pieces of art and being able to hang something that large of the Eiffle Tower or the Colesseum just seems beautiful! Thank you for all the help! I have looked at the A6000 extensively and, this may be dumb, but there is no EVF? If I'm correct, you can put one on the camera, but that's adding to the bulk. I may be critiquing every part of each camera, but I will never get to hold it, until I have bought it.

8. jaomul

Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  9. cherylynne1

Photos OK to edit
    The there are two things that affect the ability to print large: sharpness of the photo and megapixels.

If you take a blurry picture, it doesn't matter how many megapixels you have, the picture will look bad. Taking sharp pictures is the result of good technique, understanding exposure, and using light to your advantage as well as the quality of your lens. As far as megapixels, yes, for 36 x 36 at least 20mp is recommended. However, a sharp 16 mp picture will look better than a blurry 24 mp picture.

Also, when you print something that big it's pretty rare that you will have your nose an inch away to look at it, in which case the slight pixelation from having not quite enough megapixels will be irrevelant.

As far as the fixed lens in the RX-100 IV goes: in this case, yes, the lens will be fine for that. The lens on that camera is very high quality, probably more high quality than you could afford to purchase with a mirrorless kit in your current budget. It can take beautiful photographs in the most common focal lengths and open up to very wide apertures. Yes, it has only one lens, but it's a very very good lens, much better than any kit lens. Now, if you know that you will need either wider or longer lenses in the near future, then it's not right for you. But if you're mostly doing pictures of buildings, sunsets, landscapes, and people, it would be a good choice. And it does have 20 mp. Watch some of the promotional videos or video reviews of it. Pros tend to purchase it as a camera to work as a companion to their large kit, so they can have high quality photos when they're unable to lug around their DSLRs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cherylynne1

Photos OK to edit
    I think you're thinking of the Sony 5100, which has no EVF. The Sony a6000 has one. That's the camera I own, so I know it definitely has one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kkw93msu2010

kkw93msu2010 TPF Noob!

Thank you! I've looked at wayyyyyyy too many cameras. Lol

12. cherylynne1

Photos OK to edit

It's definitely overwhelming, especially when you can't walk into a store and touch them. Definitely better to overthink every detail than to just grab the first thing you see.

• Like Like x 1