Allowing City to use photos

acparsons

Photo Hunter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,

I've recently photographed a couple of events in the US. I would like to submit my photos for the city's tourism industry. I don't need compensation, as I would like to help the city. The photos were taken in a public place and have people in them. Are there any concerns that I should have?

I would have thought that if your not getting compensation then it's not you that needs to worry. The city should be aware of the issue & not use them if a release is needed. The city will have lawyers who know the intricacies of local law...

If if you were compensated, there still shouldn't be a problem as they are being used in an editorial fashion. Additionally, the people being recognized should not be a factor as it is a public place.

If the images were being used by you in a commercial fashion, i.e. marketing, promotion, endorsement of a product, then you will need approvals and releases from the recognizable persons.

Another thought you might not have considered - the city also pays people to take photos for their marketing. If you provide your photos for free you undercut those professionals totally. Even if its a once off don't forget there's other people like you who can also be more once-offs. Ergo sometimes its good to charge a fair fee or let them set a rate as at least then you are still supporting the structure and value of the photographs; rather than totally undercutting nad devaluing the product itself.

Another thought you might not have considered - the city also pays people to take photos for their marketing. If you provide your photos for free you undercut those professionals totally. Even if its a once off don't forget there's other people like you who can also be more once-offs. Ergo sometimes its good to charge a fair fee or let them set a rate as at least then you are still supporting the structure and value of the photographs; rather than totally undercutting and devaluing the product itself.

That's a great point. I'll ask them about that before signing the release.

Out here, most medium to small city will hand a city dSLR with kit lens to a low level staffer who dials in full automatic and walks around shooting from eye level with no idea of composition or technique. I suspect they may welcome your images.

Out here, most medium to small city will hand a city dSLR with kit lens to a low level staffer who dials in full automatic and walks around shooting from eye level with no idea of composition or technique. I suspect they may welcome your images.

Thanks for the info. I'm with a program in my Korean city for tourism photography. It's good to have an idea how it's done in the US.

Thanks for the info. I'm with a program in my Korean city for tourism photography. It's good to have an idea how it's done in the US.
Larger cities will contract out to an advertising/public relations firm, who, in-turn will farm out the photography to local pros.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back