Almost ready to throw in the towel **Rant/Pity Party**

MyaLover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After a "model" flaked on me this evening, this on the tale of me not feeling too motivated or creative lately, I just feel ready to throw in the towel. All of this has got me questioning why I do this. Why does it seem that everyone takes advantage of everyone and no has any professionalism or respect for others. I am grateful for my self ports because they help me learn, but I feel i can really branch out shooting others. But everyone, especially the shallow, self absorbed "models" I seem to come across, really just want to screw you over and get something for free.

Its frustrating. And frankly, its more stressful than my day job, which if any of you know what I do, thats saying a lot!

The more I get involved with these "models" the more I hate photography because its turning into a JOB now, when before it was more fun and a hobby. Now it feels like work.

So Do I have ideas (which hopefully ideas will come back to me, cuz at the moment im fresh out) and not have any way of shooting them? Or work with people who simple annoy me and take all the fun out of it anyway? Im stuck in the middle.

Sorry for the rant! But I had to get it all out! :irked::madass:

Not to be rude, but where are you getting your models from?? Maybe its time to try a different source if you keep getting unprofessional models.

Maybe take some time off shooting in the studio and go try some macro's of flowers or some scenics, or street scenes. Something different to get out of the dull drums and re-excite your photo love. ;)

edit: After looking at your flickr pool.... yeahhh what I wrote before doesn't apply to you too well, does it? :p sorry.

In that case, I do concur with Jerry and others below - go focus on still life for a bit then.

Last edited:
I'm with benhasajeep, Get away from people for a wile, Visit the garden, Walk the town. Take a brake and shoot something different that you find interesting.

yah dump the people part!
Get out and try something new - waterdrop photos, flowers, insects, birds, go the zoo for the day, for a walk, do some street photos - the list is almost endless.

Just try something new and fun to get your mind of people for the moment and you will find your creativity comming back.

Also as ben suggested it might be time to try sourcing models from another place or changing your approach to them initially so that you are less likley to attract the freeloaders

Is it, perhaps, that you are ignoring the motivations of those you ask to model for you? Their time is just as important to them as yours is to you -- perhaps more so if modeling is their sole source of income. If they earn money through modeling, they must treat time as a cost.

I have an opinion.

I think you need to get away from the kinds of people that you are asking to model for you. You need to perhaps spend more time with other photographers, other clubs... network! Within that network is an incredible amount of information, not just technical, not just business info, but quality models.

I am a member of a strobist club and we get together 6-10 times a year and have a blast each time. It exposes you to models, photographers and more importantly, a lot of ideas if you just pay attention. I am also a HUGE fan of being mentored by a known good professional photographer in the realm of your interest.

Finally, you complain that there is a lack of respect or professionalism. I agree, but there is no rule out there that says that you must surround yourself with these people. Your circle should be small, tight and include only the ones that scream quality, professional, respectful. Surround yourself with this and that is what you will receive. Sometimes the bad egg gets in, that teaches you how to remove that presence from your circle.

Life is filled with challenges, you don't need to surround yourself with people that drag you down.

Find a charity and negotiate doing a calender for them as a fund raiser. Use people associated with the charity as the subjects for each month (or week if you want a really big calender).

You are practically guaranteed motivated models, a fun time and a tax write off if you so desire.

And after you have the needed photos in the can- you can play till you wear them out. ;)

Deal with it! Don't go off and shoot flower's and the sky and all the artsy crap that will help sooth the soul. You chose to be a model photographer. I dont obviously know what your business arrangement is with these people/models, but have a "no show or late show payment". Let's say you deal with Model Mayhem, as most of this work is shot for free, have them sign a $50 penalty letter, faxed/emailed back to you while the shoot is in scheduling stages. If they are serious, they will return it to you and if they don't at least you know your time may not be wasted with a no show.

This is blunt, I don't mean to offend, you are in control here, not the model. Step away from the camera if you need to, but don't bail because some "wanna be" hasn't got the courtesy to keep a schedule that doesn't involve an emergency.

You have selected a genre that is filled with overbloated ego's, this will continue.

Here's a sample letter:
(This is based on a scheduled date and location)

Business or Personal Letterhead
Dear Model,
Scheduled Date:
Sceduled Time:
As valuable as both are times are, I have included this small contract for compensation if either of us fail to appear for the scheduled shoot. A fee of $$ will be owed if for any unvalidated reason that a cancellation from either party, within a reasonable time frame, is not submitted.
I look forward to working with you.
Regards,
Please sign this and return no later than xx/xx/xxxx.

At minimum, this will put over the impression that you are a professional and that's is what your post is requesting!

yeah i feel like that to sometimes, especially with models who just randomly message you and tell you your sucks. going through their portfolio doesn't show up any stunning photography, in fact really just terrible shoots, and those models are even racist to some degree.

i am just one person among the MASSES that will be disappointed if you stop taking portrait photos...i LOVE your work, and always get stoked when i see a posting from you in the people section.

im sorry to hear you are having model issues...and unfortunately i dont have any good ideas as to what you should try doing to keep a consistent model base...i was just chiming in to let you know people here count on your kick ass photos for inspiration :D

dont give up!

I feel your pain, I've had 2 models bail on me lately, but I'm just starting out and I'm not going to let it bother me. I'm getting some business cards printed and I'm going to hand them out to snag some clients. I'm also photographing a band at some point and I'm having friends model for me. You just have to do whatever it takes.

Hang in there. Things will get better. I've looked at your flickr and you definitely have some fantastic photos, you need to stick with it!

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement!! Something I was not looking for really when I posted this. I needed to vent! ANd I have taken some of everyones advice. Im experimenting, taking pics of my Mya :) and taking a break from wanna be's for a while. So far so good! Thanks everyone for such support! Who knew the internet was good for that?!?! :)

Our collective pleasure :)

Most reactions

Back