Already chose gear and saving to buy!! ADVICE?

SIDIOUS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good day/night people, I have done plenty reasearch on DSLRS and yes I know the lenses is the most important thing, as thats what focuses the light on the sensor.

I plan to use crop frame cameras, and I intend on the best quality pics I can save for.

So the following my choices of lenses based on research and advice.

For standard lenses which I will be my first I plan to buy Canon EFS 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 40mm, EF 85mm f1.8. These lenses i found should suite my basic standard range and my personal need for taking
pictures of average subjects ,cars, buildings, small item. what i really want to shoot are people, both full figure and portrait.

I love landscapes, I love that feeling of scale I get with perspective distortions on a wide lens, so for QUALITY Landscape shots I have chosen the EF 8-15mm, as it should be higher quality images on crop frames than the efs 10-22mm and the 2 sigmas 10-20mm. This lens I plan to buy after my standard and when I save and make more money.

Last is the tele lens I want mostly for sports, I know how heavy 3 pounds 1.5kg is, so let me worry about that, I plan to buy the EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM.

The 2 cameras I want to choose between are the Canon 100D/SL1 and the Canon 70D.

If I buy the Canon 100D its because I decide my standard subjects wont be fast enough, I plan then to save and make money for both the Canon 70D and the EF 70-200mm f2.8 IS II and buy them at the same time.

I am here to get constructive advice, not sarcasm, irony etc like I got in other forums. I live in part a country where I cant go to a store and rent equipment nor try it before I buy.

In the end its my money I will be spending when I re-assess and make my choices, so please, give me constructive advice!

Last edited:
It looks like you've thoroughly thought out your plan. My biggest concern, however, is that you appear to be diving in at the deep end and you may find it's either not all that you expected it to be or, it's just too expensive.

It appears that you're going to buy 3 lenses at the same time you buy the camera. I think you should start with just the 15-85 and not the others. One reason is that the 40 and 85 focal lengths are already covered by the 15-85, albeit at a comparatively slow f3.5-5.6 versus the 'fast' (wider aperture) 40 and 85. My thinking is that someone new to photography (I presume so) should concentrate more on 'learning the basics' than getting all hung up by having multiple lenses to confuse things even more. Although you could shoot everything on Auto mode, learning to use the 'creative zone' settings (as Canon calls them) and, more specifically, the exposure triangle is likely the best place to start. Until one actually SEES the results of what wider/smaller apertures can & can't do, faster/slower shutter speeds and ISO, it's difficult to visualize from reading alone. Along the way, you may discover you are doing most of your photography at the wide end of the 15-85 rather than the long end. That would make purchasing an ultra wide lens sooner rather than later an option. And you'd have the money available at that time, too. On the other end, you may want to consider a 55-250 as a very economical means of getting into telephoto lengths for a very reasonable price.

As part of the 'hold on to your money' in not buying the two primes, I'd like to suggest you purchase an external flash for indoor work as well as for fill-in flash outdoors...and learning how to use it effectively as well before buying more lenses. It need not be the top of the line 600EX-RT flash. The 430 or used 550 or 580 would be a good start. Also consider Canon compatible flash brands as well.

Lastly, don't get suckered into buying a 'deluxe kit' or something comparable from Amazon or other vendors. These kits contain genuine Canon body and 1 or 2 lenses, as advertised. But the rest of the equipment, from bag, flash, 'macro' and/or 'tele' converter, cleaning brush, spare battery, protective UV filter, etc...are all JUNK! Especially the macro and telephoto 'converter's...on that one, I have first hand experience getting junk.

Basically, what I am saying is to go one step at a time. Rather than parting with about $1500 or more 'up front', start with a small step...body and lens with or without a flash and LEARN from there. Who knows? You may discover your photography interests are somewhere other than what you are currently thinking. In photography, and most other hobbies, it's best to let NEED be the 'driver', rather than want/desire.

That is good advice, and yeah I plan to do a lot of learning from the written tutorials and experimentation.

I have a question though, and if this is covered in other topics you can link me pls, can I control the intensity of the light from the flash, I would like to do natural lighting than studio type lighting, (unless I am shooting subject where that dont matter)

"Lastly, don't get suckered into buying a 'deluxe kit' or something comparable from Amazon or other vendors. These kits contain genuine Canon body and 1 or 2 lenses, as advertised. But the rest of the equipment, from bag, flash, 'macro' and/or 'tele' converter, cleaning brush, spare battery, protective UV filter, etc...are all JUNK! Especially the macro and telephoto 'converter's...on that one, I have first hand experience getting junk."

Wow! I never got that advice before, though its not surprising, they want to make their money, and I know how business thinks! And yeah I have considered those packages, thanks for that!!

I like messing with manual settings, auto mode wont give me the shots I truly want, as I have learned with compact cameras.

There's basically two ways to control the flash other than ETTL where the camera decides everything.

The first is to set FEC in the camera - flash exposure compensation. Think of it as ETTL with a partial control. From the value ETTL determines, FEC can be used to increase/decrease the flash output as desired. "Chasing through menus" in the camera to set FEC isn't the easiest to do, but after a while, you'll know what selections to make.

The other is manual. You decide up front how much light is needed and make that setting on the flash unit itself. If your lighting is changing from shot to shot, manual can be bit of a headache. Some like it, some don't.

There's lots of great threads on this forum about flash use/setup/etc. Simply do a search and go from there. FWIW, I tend to be the lazy kind of amateur photographer flash shooter...I simply set it to ETTL and I can simply 'touch up' the exposure a bit in post processing if it's needed. As I do most of my photography at church in larger rooms, I bought the 'biggest, baddest' Canon flash at the time, a 580 EX ii, as I figure I can always dial it back if my pictures are badly overexposed. So far, bouncing the flash and ETTL have done the job sufficiently for my needs.

I also agree with getting a camera body with kit lens and a flash to begin with. Learn more and add gears as needed.

I also agree with getting a camera body with kit lens and a flash to begin with. Learn more and add gears as needed.

One thing I did not mention, is that I have to pay 38% VAT & DUTY on imports. The only way I avoid that is to ship it to my brother in the USA who is coming back in December.
When he leaves again I wont know when he will be back!

If I cant save to buy the efs 15-85mm by Dec, I would buy the 100D with the kit lens, which ever zoom I decide to buy I plan to buy the EF 40mm, I was advised my an experienced amateur photographer who is American born and lives in my island to buy a prime.

Overall for me it wont make sense to buy something a cheap lens just to try out, that's money I can save to buy quality lenses I wont update for years when I learn to use my camera, I look forward to buying the 100D with at least the zoom and one prime.

Just to say what else I know, I know that most Full frame Zooms perform just as good on crop cams as the efs 15-85mm, only the 24-70mm performs better.

Last edited:
I will look into the flashes!

Why the SL1 when you can get a 60D for roughly the same price or cheaper?

Obvious, because I dont want to carry around a camera as big as the 60D, I have held cameras that size and bigger, when I buy product its not just about cost for me, its about function and other ergonomics!!
The 100D / sl1 is a nice and small camera, with DSLR quality, combined with the EF 40mm and the kit zoom, this will be light!

The price will fall hopefully by the end of this year!

The 70D is high performaning with the same size and weight as the 60D, by the time I buy good quality lasting lenses, learn how to properly use my camera, lenses, flash and save for the EF 70-200mm f2.8IS II L (if I find I need it), the 70D will cost maybe $800USD or less!!

And hopefully by that time my bro will return so I dont pay extra VAT & DUTY!

Obvious, because I dont want to carry around a camera as big as the 60D, I have held cameras that size and bigger, when I buy product its not just about cost for me, its about function and other ergonomics!!
The 100D / sl1 is a nice and small camera, with DSLR quality, combined with the EF 40mm and the kit zoom, this will be light!

The price will fall hopefully by the end of this year!

The 70D is high performaning with the same size and weight as the 60D, by the time I buy good quality lasting lenses, learn how to properly use my camera, lenses, flash and save for the EF 70-200mm f2.8IS II L (if I find I need it), the 70D will cost maybe $800USD or less!!

And hopefully by that time my bro will return so I dont pay extra VAT & DUTY!

I understand size and ergonomics however the 60D has multiple advantages over the SL1 other than that. If size is the biggest concern then I can see where you are enticed by the SL1 but the 60D has the same sensor, 9 cross type focus points, better build quality, longer lasting battery, better viewfinder, a flip out screen (actually comes handy when shooting really low), and cheaper because of the release of the 70D. The 70D is brand new and will be expensive for some time. My suggestion is get the 60D with the kit 18-135mm, save the rest, and learn. The 18-135 is a great focal range and will serve you well until you know exactly want you need to capture the images you want.

Example, the SL1 body and the 15-85 brand new is going to run you roughly 1200-1400 whereas the 60D w/ 18-135 is going to be 750-850ish. There is already $600 saved up for a quality lens.

I have another question, Does the EF 8-15mm have better image quality on a crop frame camera, lets say the T3i, than the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, f4-4.6 and EFS 10-22mm on the same camera T3i??

I have another question, Does the EF 8-15mm have better image quality on a crop frame camera, lets say the T3i, than the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, f4-4.6 and EFS 10-22mm on the same camera T3i??
The EF 8-15mm is a fisheye lens, the others are rectilinear ultrawides. Comparing one with the other is like comparing lemons with fish. Decide if you want a fisheye or a standard ultrawide, then compare the alternatives WITHIN one lens type.

I own the EF-S 10-22mm. It's reasonably sharp, but not for pixel-peepers, and has great colour rendition and contrast. It's a very good lens.

If you're considering a fisheye though, the obvious lenses to compare with the Canon 8-15mm are the Sigma 10mm and Sigma 15mm fisheyes. The Sigmas are are faster, cheaper and compare favourably in image quality with the Canon. Gene Ho uses them for wedding photography and gets inspiring results - go google his images.

I like messing with manual settings, auto mode wont give me the shots I truly want, as I have learned with compact cameras.
If I understand correctly (I haven't owned the entry-level Canons) the 100D/SL1 and the Rebels make it harder work to use manual mode than the higher level bodies, as you can't adjust both aperture and shutter speed as easily in manual mode.

Also, while I understand the attraction of the tiny 100D to work with, that advantage is going to disappear very quickly if you work with some of the lenses you're considering - I doubt the 8-15mm or the 15-85mm would 'balance' well enough to be comfortable to use on a body as small as the SL1. (I may be wrong on this, and to a large extent it may depend on personal preference).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back