Alright car guys...

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need some info. I'm selling my truck and I want to get a Toyota Celica...so far I'm having terrible difficulties tracking down anything in my area, looks like I might have to end up driving to Indianapolis, Ohio, Texas, or Florida...which for the price isn't bad. Anyway to the question, is a Celica a good choice? I'm looking at the 2000 model, or possibly 01. Second question would be about places to find cars on the net. I've searched cars.com and autotrader. I've also looked in local classifieds and called lots of dealers, so if you car gurus know of other places to search please let me know :) Thanks in advance for any help :)

Hobbes is selling his...but it's an '87 and a convertable. Oh, and you'd have to come to NH :D Great car though, we are going to miss it! Shame you can't put three carseats in the back of a convertable :lol:

I don't advise buying cars that are going out of production. It may make your parts hunt in the future hard and expensive.

I have a 97 Prelude with automatic transmission. They stopped the production in 01 cus no one's buying it. Now it's hard to find cheap parts because it's so rare.

As far as buying, I don't know anything more then what has been said, but the celica and toyotas in general are a safe bet for a used car. Very solid. Parts are a little expensive though when things go bad.

I know it's not as prefered, but did you look at the Scion tC? It's a hatchback and a coupe just like the Celica. You get it new instead of used. As a car, I don't know if it's better.

The newer Celica is good but is kinda small. If you're single, go for it. Once you drive a Celica, you'll probably always want one. :D

As for where to buy one, go to Sam's club. If you're not a member, join for this benefit. They have the Sam's Auto buying club where you can tell them what you're looking for and they will help you find one. You don't have to pay Sam's a commission and they will pretty much do every bit of the legwork for you. My mother bought a '95 Celica (funny enough) that way and saved about a third off the best price and that was in '96. She got a convertable for about 5K below the price of a non-convertable version and the dealership they set her up with delivered the car from AL to SC and were waiting in the driveway with the car when she got home from work.

....and that's all I have to say about that. ;)

Getting this model?

toyota_celica.jpg

I hear they're a nice car, as Cow said - might be best to find out what parts availablity is like because if something breaks and the part has to come from Japan it'll cost you the earth. :grumpy:
I know this particular model was designed at Long Beach too. :)

I wouldnt worry too much about parts. Aftermarket parts will be available, and are reliable. As far as being expensive to fix, heck all cars are like that now.

A word of advice on buying private, there are a lot of good ones advertised but black and white photos can be deceiving. My brother in law and I spent 14 hours on northern ontario highways tuesday looking at suv's listed in the auto trader, a lot of junk out there(he is still looking). Look close, take your time and you will find a good one.

As for my first comment, I had spent 16 yrs in the auto bizz, in parts and can tell ya, that celica is a great car. Find a nice one, :thumbup:

Of the states you listed, my choice would be Texas, as far as environmental damage to the vehicle.

Celica would be a good car, it's using the same motor and transmission that has been available for a great number of years, and has proven reliable and long lasting. You could do worse.

Thanks so much for all the feeback :) Glad to hear that this is indeed a good car, now to find the right one :) Yep Xmetal, that's the one...isn't the black just fancy :) I also like the red and blue ones as well...I will be sure and check the sites you all listed, and definitely look into this Sam's Club thing! Thanks again, hopefully within the next month I'll be zipping around taking pics of my new used car :lol:

Most reactions

Back