alright, what am I doing wrong

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have tried this three times now with different settings, all have failed. The only settings that remain constant are the film at asa 800 and the 135mm lens. Why can I not get the letters on the mountain to show up correctly when they are lit.

scan0068.jpg

(other two seen here: http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1007945#post1007945)

Should I try a slower film, or maybe a faster shutter speed and milti expose it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think at its simplest level, you are just too far away from the signs to be able to avoid this sort of effect occuring. Not sure what shutter speed you're using, but if it's lengthy as I suspect it may be, you are giving lots of time for moisture/dust in the atmosphere to move in front of the lights and be illuminated. You'd then end up with a similar effect to the one you get with long exposures of moving water and the burn out you get there.

Did that make sense at all?

Yes it did, I am not sure witch one of the three it was but the fastest shutter speed I used was a 1/125, I'll have to dig up my log book, I thought it was in my briefcase but it's not.

I assume that there is a way to capture something exactly as I see it or maybe closer but this is what I keep getting.

I assume that there is a way to capture something exactly as I see it or maybe closer but this is what I keep getting.

Hmm, not sure. I think the distance is the main factor here, that and the relative capabilities of the old Mk1 Eyeball and a camera.

Hmm, not sure. I think the distance is the main factor here, that and the relative capabilities of the old Mk1 Eyeball and a camera.

Mk1 ?

You could be right the other light shots I have done and got reasonably clear where much closer. Never the less, I have a three day weekend comming up and I am going to put every suggestion and thought into this subject a try. I want this shot that badly.

Yes, distance is a factor... but if you cut that distance to about half, you will find a bit of an improvement. Also the pic is not that you are underexposed, but over exposed. Your meter may read properly exposed, but you will want to not get that halo effect and see the letters clearer... only way to do that is to increase shutter speed by 1 or 2 steps, possibly 3.

Good luck.

Yes, distance is a factor... but if you cut that distance to about half, you will find a bit of an improvement. Also the pic is not that you are underexposed, but over exposed. Your meter may read properly exposed, but you will want to not get that halo effect and see the letters clearer... only way to do that is to increase shutter speed by 1 or 2 steps, possibly 3.

Good luck.

Thank you, I'll give that a try as well

unfortunately this is taken from a bridge and cutting the distance is not possable, as water and buildings are in my way:mrgreen:

Lol... yeah walking on water may not be an option for you.

Question, is that condensation or dust on the lens that we are seeing? It looks as if there is a lot of artifact on the picture that looks like dust or someting. Hard to tell.

Lol... yeah walking on water may not be an option for you.

Question, is that condensation or dust on the lens that we are seeing? It looks as if there is a lot of artifact on the picture that looks like dust or someting. Hard to tell.

Likely debris from the scanner, I did this scan after just short of fifty some odd exparimental opentop scans placing numorous diffrent things onto the scannerbed.

Is it completely dark when you are shooting this? If so, and if the letters are lit up, try shooting right around or just before dusk, while there is still some ambient light.

Yes, generally after ten o'clock at night or later

That'll be tough, as I am usually in bed at dusk. I'll give it a try, It'll be the equivalent of getting up around three or four in the morning so I should be able too.

Is it completely dark when you are shooting this? If so, and if the letters are lit up, try shooting right around or just before dusk, while there is still some ambient light.

Yup, good thought. Decrease exposure under the same ligting circumstances or leave it as it was and take the pic during a time that there is slightly more light will have the same effect in terms of seeing the letters of the sign... matter of fact, your suggestion should be better as using my suggestion everything surrounding the sign will appear black whereas taking the pic at dusk under slightly more light will give you some detail around the sign.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back