Also Saturday Morning in DC at the Tidal Basin

wh0c4rez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This last Saturday, five of us got together to shoot the sunrise on the Tidal Basin. Here are some of my shots. If you're inclined to comment, please do so. I've only had my camera for around 10 weeks and really trying to get the hang of using it. Low light situations are still very difficult for me.

$13654273513_4cdbf76603_b.jpg
I just noticed that I have some dust on this one on the image uploaded to Flickr. I'll have to go back in and clone those out.

$13654278053_72a6fbaac1_b.jpg
$13654771593_456c17b352_b.jpg
$13655327713_fa3cab9814_b.jpg
$13656512745_ddb4751950_b.jpg
This one has needs to be straightened...keeps messing with my mind.

$13656529083_8c1e458ac8_b.jpg

In case these don't show up very well in the post, here is a link to the full set on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wh0c4rez/sets/72157643484434915/

I feel so left out.

I had a friend coming up from SC saturday morning and I was actually going to head up there the morning if he wasn't going to be able to make it...

I feel so left out.

I had a friend coming up from SC saturday morning and I was actually going to head up there the morning if he wasn't going to be able to make it...

That may work out for the best. The cherry blossoms were unfortunately not in bloom, but they should be by this weekend. There are about a half dozen cherry blossoms around the MLK memorial that are in "medians" that have bloomed, but the ones around the basin are not ready yet. I've got a pic in the Flickr set of some of the buds, if you haven't seen it. I like the short depth of field of that one.

Im not entirely interested in shots of the blossoms themselves. I just wanna capture the morning sun.

I see this too often and never get to actually capture it:

very similar to the sky you got:
IMG_20131003_065159.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

Because my apartment in Falls Church looks directly out to the sunset, I get a ton of photos with some incredible color, as seen in this Flickr set. But I really love the second photo that you posted; that "sky on fire" is beautiful!

I used to live extremely close to you; right by Lost Dog and Westover Market.

I cant find any vantages to get in good sunsets in my area, but it doesn't help that I'm too lazy to look for any.

Fortunately, my 8th floor apartment has a great vantage point.

I do quite like this set, btw. (Sorry I like to make everything about me)

#3 is pushed a bit too far: You're getting a halo around the shooter and the skyline.

Otherwise I like the captures. Just watch your saturation, imho, you're borderline with #1 pushing it since washington's monument is coming across as yellow.

The composition is pretty good in all of them to hold interesting, even with the monument being dead center.

Thank you for the critique! Yeah, I thought so too on #3 and tried to pull it back but just couldn't get it the way I wanted. Could be that I used three gradient filters (one top to horizon, one bottom to horizon and one from the left about three quarters of the way across). I'm sure that's why I had difficulty pulling the clarity and saturation back. I appreciate the comments on composition, which is where I really want the most feedback. I'll keep the saturation comment in mind when processing in the future for shots like #1. Again, THANK YOU for taking the time to give me your comments!

thanks for inviting me out next time!

If you have time, check out my Flickr. When I got the camera it was too cold to head outdoors and I practiced shooting on my cats, which from what I've seen is a favorite subject of yours as well...hahahahha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back