Altamont Hoarfrost Mystery

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On Sunday I got to photograph hoarfrost-covered trees for the first time – that's one thing I can cross off my bucket list now.

The scene was found in an abandoned farm just outside Altamont, Manitoba. My buddy and I spent a good hour in this place and couldn't tell what those rusty crate-like things were and what they were doing in the middle of the bush. Today he told me that someone said that these are "chutes for mobile hog transferring, set them and put hogs into trucks". Cool. In any case, I thought they made a good WTF-type ingredient to throw into a dreamy landscape like this.

Since the trees were already white, I played in post to give this a faux-IR look.

p1040657342-4.jpg

EDIT: As suggested by a member of another forum, here's a version of this image flipped horizontally. The change takes the composition to the next level I think, and I like it so much better it's not even funny. Gotta love photo forums.

p572238998-4.jpg

Hope you like.

Last edited:
Gorgeous! I started to post some frost covered trees yesterday... but they don't look this good! :)

Gorgeous! I started to post some frost covered trees yesterday... but they don't look this good! :)
Where have you posted them? I clicked on your profile to see your started threads, but couldn't find hoarfrost anywhere :) (Thanks, by the way!)

Where have you posted them? I clicked on your profile to see your started threads, but couldn't find hoarfrost anywhere :) (Thanks, by the way!)

I didn't post them.. but will do so here, I hope you don't mind.

Frosty-Aspens.jpg

...and you don't think that image is good? If anything, I'd trade mine for yours in a nanosecond :)

...and you don't think that image is good? If anything, I'd trade mine for yours in a nanosecond :)

I like the image.. but it is not quite as dramatic as yours! lol!

sounds painful! Or at least messy! :)

sounds painful! Or at least messy! :)
I agree. You have to experience it to understand it :)

On a more serious note, I've added a new version of the image to the original post. It's just a rotated version, but in my mind the little change did wonders for the image.

Odd that something like that would make a difference.. but I do like it! I really like the processing you did on that shot... the contrasts of the white on blue, with the red from the rusty chutes. I have actually been back to look at it several times... lol!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back