Alternating Exposures in Video or Exposure Bracketing in Burst Mode

SCB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings!

I am part of a university research group trying to develop an algorithm to produce HDR video for dynamic scenes. The group has successfully produced HDR images for dynamic scenes without any artifacts. The next step is to expand our algorithm to the temporal domain and produce HDR video. To do this we would need a camera that records frames with alternating exposures. If we alternate between 4 exposures then we believe our algorithm will combine them without the artifacts that plague most state-of-the-art HDR video methods. However, finding a camera to produce alternating exposures from frame to frame is proving difficult...

Furthermore, I was wondering if it was possible to enable exposure bracketing with continuous burst. I know that with the standard Canon features there is a burst mode that at a given exposure will continue to take pictures as long as the shutter button is pressed. However, as soon as you enable exposure bracketing in this mode, the camera will stop taking pictures after the bracket is captured. Is it possible to allow the exposure bracketing to continue repeating as long as the shutter button is pressed? I am curious about this feature for the 5D Mark II or the 1D MarkIV

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I can't really offer any input, but I would love to see some of the results!

Went to your link. A very impressive result; hopefully, a refined and efficient version of your work will be available soon.

I think remember seeing an HDR video. I think they used 2 cameras. But it was shooting a city scene far away so they can overlap the videos pretty well since it is far away even though the cameras were sitting at a different spot. Pretty cool video. Have you seen it? That would be cool if you can do it with 1 camera.

[video=vimeo;14821961]https://vimeo.com/14821961[/video]

Pretty cool video. Have you seen it? That would be cool if you can do it with 1 camera.

It is an interesting video.

Here is the group's earlier project. They were able to do HDR video with one camera a few years ago.

A Versatile HDR Video Production System

There is a video at the bottom that explains it.

The previous project required hardware modifications, but our current research is attempting to produce true HDR video on a standard camera with no hardware modifications. Furthermore, like the HDR Imaging link in my previous post, this HDR video will not have artifacts from capturing dynamic scenes.

Magic lantern does it with one camera.

Yes, unfortunately Magic Lantern only varies the ISO and does not capture multiple exposures. Thus, it is not true HDR. Our project is trying to enable HDR video without artifacts by varying the exposures.

Most reactions

Back