Alternative approaches to street photography

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about close-range snapping of passers-by on the streets, with two guys, each using Leica film cameras, and focusing on odd situations, odd characters, and attractive 20-something year-old women. Leica M6 and Leica M2. Almost NOTHING of value to be learned from this video.

Yes, and how is "street photography" OFF TOPIC????

LOL, skieur, that's so true :)

I found that video entertaining, if nothing else. I enjoy seeing people doing street photography. I'm not too fond of Eric's style of talking to his subjects, and interacting that much with them. I would take the shot, maybe nod and smile. If they talk to me, I will answer them, of course, but I will keep my interaction to them to a minimum before taking the shot.
And I wouldn't be comfortable shooting a flash up their noses at evening (even if the results can be very nice).

I'd like more AnalogRev videos. I like Kai's philosophy regarding film cameras and rangefinder, and they make some relaxing and good videos sometimes (in-between all that stupidness-ness).

edit: Eric Kim's Point-of-View videos are interesting to watch. If anyone is interesting in videos on philosophy of street photography, check out John Free's channel.

Because I had no idea if you guys would react serious or not to Kai based photography lessons - and it was near midnight when I posted so -- maybe not the best of thoughts.

*hides it back into general discussions so no one notices :) *

Because I had no idea if you guys would react serious or not to Kai based photography lessons

:lol:

It's all about close-range snapping of passers-by on the streets, with two guys, each using Leica film cameras, and focusing on odd situations, odd characters, and attractive 20-something year-old women. Leica M6 and Leica M2. Almost NOTHING of value to be learned from this video.

I watched this last night and, while not actually repelled, did feel that this wasn't what street photography should be defined as.
They are using papparazi type techniques to make a situation for a shot.
I would rather just capture what is occurring without allowing my presence to create the image; be a recorder rather than an instigator.

I thought they were using both methods - whilst instigation/control was probably their more common one in the video there was still a fair amount of snap and capture of shots without interaction before the shutter was pressed.

I watched this last night and, while not actually repelled, did feel that this wasn't what street photography should be defined as.
They are using papparazi type techniques to make a situation for a shot.
I would rather just capture what is occurring without allowing my presence to create the image; be a recorder rather than an instigator.

WELL, THERE ARE are few things we could learn from this 13 minute debacle. First off, Kai is silly. But we knew that. His America-educated, name-dropper friend who is allegedly a "famous" photographer (the guy who mentioned he was looking at a house in beverly Hills the week before, and got a kiss from a woman to whom he said, "Becasue you're beautiful"--a double sort of name-drop....Beverly Hills + a kiss from a beautiful American female!!)--well, he made a bad impression for Asian-Americans. About the subject of sociology, which he said studied at UCLA...he said it's helpful to know sociology. Yes...it helps a foreigner, speaking a foreign language, to have the balls to step into a culture where respect and maintaining one's composure is of paramount importance, and it helps him push these respectful, docile people around. Yes, his knowledge of sociology is very helpful...go to a place where you can be a total ass, and disrespect people, invade their space, give them direction, and bark at them in a foreign language, and they will put up with your chit. Yeah. Classless. His schtick is not street photography. As The_Traveler politely described it, it is using paparazzi tactics. Another description is from the USA, and that is ambush photography.

The disrespect for the subjects that both of these clowns displayed was evident. I think the lengthy story about how Famous Photographer was given his Leica M6 by a wealthy fanboi of his was pathetic. The dick joke he made about the 15mm being commensurate with the length of Kai's penis was another example of why the guy's an ass. Famous Photographer, receiver of Leica M6, UCLA then Yale, Beverly Hills House hunter...dick-joke maker...ah....shooter of film because he too ants to be "cool" like his friends...dressing up in Elvis and a pirate costumes...man...that was a quality video! Noooot!

Kai is silly, but I still enjoy his videos... Eric I'm not into, but this video wasn't all about him. I actually dig Kai's street photography most of the time.

Leica hipster style cameras and old days clothing, they got it going on?
badteeth.gif

Kai's street photography style wasn't good represented in this video. Mr. Kim's was spot on, and I agree with Derrel. But Kai's, from what I've seen on their channel, is much, much less "ambushy" than that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back