Alternative Flashes for Nikon

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anybody heard of this one or used it?

Genesis Speedlight SP692n for Nikon

I would love to get a very good flash like Nikon SB- 700 but not pay Nikon's prices.

I use and can also recommend Metz flashes as an alternative to factory flashes. Not as cheap as other brands but they have always been dependable which is most important to me.
Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Nikon MZ 58324N

I completely agree. I have the Metz 50 AF-1 and it's a great flash unit that's comparable to the SB-600/700. Made in Germany and about $250 depending on where you look. Apparently it's being phased out/discontinued though in favor of the newer 52 AF-1, which costs about $40 more.

If you really want a budget flash, definitely look at the Yongnuo models. The YN-560 II is ridiculously popular, and only costs about $75 at Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use Yongnuo flashes on my D5000. The Yongnuo YN-560 II and Neewer TT560 II are both manual flashes. They are excellent manual flashes, but they are manual flashes.

The Yongnuo YN-568 EX is a very powerful TTL flash, and is a great alternative to Nikon's SB-900 (which I own) in relation to size and portability.

The model I personally own as far as Yongnuo's line up is concerned is the YN-468 II. It's not as powerful as the 568 EX, but it's smaller, more portable, and more budget friendly. Ranking at only about 80 bucks, it's super cost effective. Also, while the Yongnuo is within it's range limitations, it produces great results.

You should be clear about what you want from a flash before you buy. You can get things like a Vivitar 285 for quite a bit less money than anything Nikon-dedicated. It's a big beefy flash with a lot of capability, but it will NOT integrate with Nikon's in-camera TTL metering, or with any other aspects of Nikon's flash system.

If you need that integration, you're gonna have to spend the money. If you definitely don't need that integration (manual flash isn't that hard to use, and things like the Vivitar do have auto-modes, but they use a meter built into the flash) then you can save yourself hundreds of dollars.

If you don't know whether you need that integration or not, you should probably do a little more research before buying anything.

Yongnuo YN 560 Mark II models are excellent! I own 2 of them. I also own 2 of the YN 560 Mark I units, but I prefer the Mark II units because the controls are easier to use and more self-intuitive. Both are great deals though in terms of price.

thanks so much for the information guys. I've not heard of any of these brands so your experience and knowledge of the brands makes it that much easier to consider.

Amolitor --- uummm water drops freeze frame (since my popup doesnt' work worth a damn for that), family portraits indoors, a good fill flash for outdoor portraits. Which is why I don't want to spend the money for the Nikon when I won't be using it on a day to day basis. And yes, I want TTL, I don't want to have to deal with manual settings, been there, done that, over it.

Personally I'd just buy an older pro-quality nikon flash like a sb-28, or sb80... they won't work in TTL but who really needs that?

they won't work in TTL but who really needs that?

I am also looking for a budget flash. I don't fully understand the TTL. Is the iTTL like an auto focus? By that i mean, does it auto correct for how much power is used and how long the flash lasts depending on the subject and light of what you are photographing?

I'm just a casual shooter so the less i have to do the better. However, I do shoot in aperture priority mode.

Just buy the 910 and be done with it .It will last you a long time without worries .I stick with nikon product's if all possible .That's just me though.The 910 does go to 200mm though.

they won't work in TTL but who really needs that?

I am also looking for a budget flash. I don't fully understand the TTL. Is the iTTL like an auto focus? By that i mean, does it auto correct for how much power is used and how long the flash lasts depending on the subject and light of what you are photographing?

I'm just a casual shooter so the less i have to do the better. However, I do shoot in aperture priority mode.

Nikon's iTTL will produce good exposures. That is what it is intended for.

Third party manufacturers claim iTTL compatibility, but I have no personal experience with that. Be sure to get the Canon or Nikon version of third party flash, as the two brands are not interchangeable for TTL.

I would just get the SB-700, I've done alot of reading and it's worth the price.

I use YN-565EX's with my little studio setup and they work fine. I do recommend though that you get one manufacture's flash model like the SB700 and then maybe some aftermarket ones if you need more. The Nikon flashes really are excellent and work with all the features of your camera. I have found that with most after market gear, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I have manual flashes, and bought an SB700. Then I bought another one, and considered buying more because of Nikon's "Creative Lighting System"

You can assign up to 3 different groups of flashes. Then right on the camera, you can dial the flash up or down.

Quite handy because you don't have to drop everything change the setting, and go back to pose

Well after weeks of searching, reading, debating.. I just bought my flash last night
I didn't want to have to deal with will it or wont it work, when I want it to work, I want it to work..

so..

SB700 to be delivered on Sat.

Most reactions

Back