Alternative to Nikon 70 - 200mm $2000 lens?

Wow! That was a surprise. Wouldn't have guessed it. Having taken a deep breath and re-reading this thread (It kept growing after I thought it had died), I think for the very minor differences, I'm probably going to buy the Tamron, and pocket the rest of the money.

Again, thanks for so many of you helping me navigate this.
J.

Wow! That was a surprise. Wouldn't have guessed it. Having taken a deep breath and re-reading this thread (It kept growing after I thought it had died), I think for the very minor differences, I'm probably going to buy the Tamron, and pocket the rest of the money.

Again, thanks for so many of you helping me navigate this.
J.

Well done on your choice.

Had a quick half hour with my new Tamron this afternoon and it does certainly seem great!

Took some pics of the dogs, with it on the tripod, then realised when I'd taken them I'd left the VC on.

Still, it came out pretty nice. Going to try it again later with the correct settings!

Kiki by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

I did what I said I would. Took a deep breath, a couple of days away...WTF?..sorry, I'm back, my TV has that surround sound thing, and I was 100% sure that a pipe broke and I had water running down from my ceiling...(I hate when that happens).

Anyway I took a break from the subject. Glad I did. Becase I chose the Tamron lens. Many of you mentioned it, but Derrell sealed the deal when he compared the Tamron and the Nikon. (DxO Mark) They were both nearly identical, and the Nikon was nearly a grand more.

Well not this week. When a few of you mentioned the Tamron, it was going for about 1K. Tonight, I found a "As new" USA model refurbished one for $1045.00, so I bought it.

Even though some of the most respected experts around the web, were saying the same thing, I just didn't want to believe that the Tamron was right on spot, with a Nikkor lens, even though the Nikkor cost twice as much.

So, thanks to Darrell for pointing me to the scientific data, and also to you that pointed me towards the Tamron.. also to Goodguy, Braineak, and the rest of you that spent your time answering my question, instead of just blowing me off.

Also, thanks so much to the rest of you, who may have had different ideas.
I truly appreciate all input, no matter the outcome. It helps me learn, much more than reading a book.
If I left anyone out, thank you also, for taking the time for answering my question(s).
Thanks again,
J.

Last edited:
I use the Tamron 70-200 VC, which cost me around $1200 new. It's great.

94ed7a64679ab158f33c4fb2e3afca19.jpg

ea1fd181ce091f6b85dcc9605ee76d32.jpg

e585c4634d688412ff8e77feb8525e77.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Tamron 70-200 VC?

I was recently looking at buying the NIKKOR 70-200mm f2.8G ED VR II, having read the reviews on how sharp it is ... until I read about the, quite serious, focus breathing issue it has. I then looked at the Sigma equiv. and it seems to have the same issue!

According to DXO, the Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 Di VC USD is as sharp as the Nikkor, but does it have the same problem? So far, only the Canon 70-200 seems to be free of this.
Can anyone confirm?

the Canon is certainly not free of it. Based on what I see, it's one of the worst.

watch it at 3:45

all versions of the 70-200 exhibit it.

I was recently looking at buying the NIKKOR 70-200mm f2.8G ED VR II, having read the reviews on how sharp it is ... until I read about the, quite serious, focus breathing issue it has. I then looked at the Sigma equiv. and it seems to have the same issue!

According to DXO, the Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 Di VC USD is as sharp as the Nikkor, but does it have the same problem? So far, only the Canon 70-200 seems to be free of this.
Can anyone confirm?[/QUOTE]

Thats an issue with every lens is it not?

Can anyone confirm?

Every lens has focus breathing. All of them. Just to carrying degrees. It's not a big problem and people just use it as a reason to justify buying which ever lens they were already going to buy. You're never going to look at a picture and think "dang I though I shot this at 200!"

I've owned both the Tamron and sigma 70-200. Both were great. The Sigma was stolen, so I went with the slightly cheaper Tamron, and I like it slightly more than the Sigma.

Unlearn everything you've heard about focus breathing. It's not a big deal.

Last edited:
I use the Tamron 70-200 VC, which cost me around $1200 new. It's great.

94ed7a64679ab158f33c4fb2e3afca19.jpg

ea1fd181ce091f6b85dcc9605ee76d32.jpg

e585c4634d688412ff8e77feb8525e77.jpg

I'm so glad to see you like this lens. It was recommended as an alternative to nikon to me and I really wanted to know if anyone else had it. This lens is definitely next on my list.

I don't have anything Canon, so I wasn't even looking at them - it just happened to be mentioned in the review I was looking at that the latest Nikkor 70-200 was quite significant compared to the Canon 'which doesn't seem to have the same issue' - obviously that was wrong!
Thanks for the video @Braineack

I know all lenses suffer from it to a degree, it just depends how much. Doesn't look like its a real issue judging by the video. I think the magnification is more of a concern tbh:
Both Nikkor and Tamron showing 0.12x @200mm which is a bit crap vs Canon 0.21x @200mm !!

Last edited:

Can anyone confirm?

Every lens has focus breathing. All of them. Just to carrying degrees. It's not a big problem and people just use it as a reason to justify buying which ever lens they were already going to buy. You're never going to look at a picture and think "dang I though I shot this at 200!"

I've owned both the Tamron and sigma 70-200. Both were great. The Sigma was stolen, so I went with the slightly cheaper Tamron, and I like it slightly more than the Sigma.

Unlearn everything you've heard about focus breathing. It's not a big deal.

I think what I did there was not make it seem like I was asking the question when actually my intention was to quote the OPs question, a mere 3 mile Island blunder.

My answer would have been " it affects every lens" I had actually never heard of the term till i saw it here and goggled it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back