Alternative to the Flashpoint 320m?

yeah there's a USB port on the side for it apparently. Not entirely sure I'd need/use it.

What are you thoughts on 300w/sec vs 160? I'd use these as mains and my speedlights as fill/kickers.

Just building a basic beginners setup in my basement; might use one from time-to-time outside.

I've been toying with the idea of using cymbal stands for light stands...they are cheaper and more stable.

I've been toying with the idea of using cymbal stands for light stands...they are cheaper and more stable.

I was going to ask about stands ... as the heads get heavier and heavier and adding larger softboxes ... what about the stands. I'd be curious if something like my Lowels Uni To Stands would still be good.

I think for many uses, 300 W-s is too much light through one flash head. I bought a JTL 300 over a decade ago, and it was too powerful, but at that time I had a Nikon D1, with a lowest ISO value of 200. Still...I found that Full power was often more than I wanted or needed, and I used it turned down quite a bit. In a small, low-ceilinged area like a basement, as opposed to a BIG shooting area like a shop or pole building, I think the lower W-s units are fine for most things.

For close-in, small stuff, 300 W-s is overkill, way overkill. I am not sure what a cymbal stand is. Does it have a 5/8 stud on top of it to mount the monolight, so it can be spun, then easily locked down?

I'm not a fan of mixing speedlights with studio flashes. I know a lot of people do that, but I like the modeling lights and the rapid firing ability, and the "like with like", as well as the ease of mounting modifiers onto studio flash, which is why I advocate people buying low-cost monolights, like four or five of them. I say go low-cost, and have MORE lights, rather than higher cost, and with more Watt-seconds. Where I am coming from is an unlimited number of flash heads and power levels of from 25 W-s to 2,400 W-s, depending on a bunch of factors. I've tried speedlights mixed in; not really a fan of the way they interact with what I have. If you shoot only a few frames, or slowly, I suppose it's okay. I want a light that drops onto a light stand or boom arm's spigot and mounts directly.

Have you seen Adorama's NEW $49 economy monolights?

I'm talking like a drummer's cymbal stand.

450px-Cymbal_stands_counterweighted.JPG

creative commons license.

They are M8 x 1.25 pitch so you could easily convert them to accept a stud through some easy machining.

Those budget ones would be a great alternative to the speedlights if they dont work out as intended...but that's why I wanted at least two somewhat decent strobes to start.

For fill lights and anything I want to keep low I use thrift shop tripods with a 1/4x20 lightstand stud. THey usually wind up htere because somebody lost the quick connector. Since I ditch the cheap head anyway it's OK.

$10 or it stays there, usually sturdier than most light stands too.

I would go with the Impact kit which is only $20 more, and has a 7 inch grid reflector, and a good price on the 4-grid set. Impact Digital Monolight 160W/s (120VAC) VSD-160 B&H Photo Video

You get the 160 Watt-second monolight, and an 8 foot air-cushioned light stand, and an Impact transluscent 43 innch umbrella for $179.95.

Not bad. I was looking at the Neewer DS300 as an alternative. Here's a good review: 13th Floor Photography: Godox DE300 / Neewer DS300 Monolight Review

Getting: (2) DS300 strobes, (2) Stands, (2) 30x47" Softboxes, (1) beauty dish, and (1) boom stand = ~$600
Getting: (2) Impact strobes w/stands & umbrellas, (2) 30x47" Softboxes, (1) beauty dish, and (1) boom stand = ~$530

I should admit that their accessories are nicely priced

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ordered the impacts, softboxes, and beauty dish. Looks like a local has that same boom stand w/ the reflector for sale locally I'm going to try to nab.

I think for many uses, 300 W-s is too much light through one flash head. I bought a JTL 300 over a decade ago, and it was too powerful, but at that time I had a Nikon D1, with a lowest ISO value of 200. Still...I found that Full power was often more than I wanted or needed, and I used it turned down quite a bit. In a small, low-ceilinged area like a basement, as opposed to a BIG shooting area like a shop or pole building, I think the lower W-s units are fine for most things.

For close-in, small stuff, 300 W-s is overkill, way overkill. I am not sure what a cymbal stand is. Does it have a 5/8 stud on top of it to mount the monolight, so it can be spun, then easily locked down?

I'm not a fan of mixing speedlights with studio flashes. I know a lot of people do that, but I like the modeling lights and the rapid firing ability, and the "like with like", as well as the ease of mounting modifiers onto studio flash, which is why I advocate people buying low-cost monolights, like four or five of them. I say go low-cost, and have MORE lights, rather than higher cost, and with more Watt-seconds. Where I am coming from is an unlimited number of flash heads and power levels of from 25 W-s to 2,400 W-s, depending on a bunch of factors. I've tried speedlights mixed in; not really a fan of the way they interact with what I have. If you shoot only a few frames, or slowly, I suppose it's okay. I want a light that drops onto a light stand or boom arm's spigot and mounts directly.

Have you seen Adorama's NEW $49 economy monolights?

Yup, I came across the "why did I buy speedlights now that I would like something with modeling lights" situation.
I guess simplicity and small size was the original reasoning.
Of course, how to remote trigger them all is the next question.

not to hijack Braineack's thread ...

Of course, how to remote trigger them all is the next question.

I bought the LS-PC635 cable/adapater for my RF603s. I'll just use one, and trigger the rest by slave.

Well. You can go to B&H, head to the studio lighting section and put in the maximum you're willing to spend per light and see what comes up. ;) You'll find lights from Impact, Interfit, Westcott and Photogenic in the 0-$200 range.

I went to B and H a few days ago not knowing that they dont sell Flashpoint 320m which is 99.00 doollar per head, next week will try to go to Adorama to see how Flashpoint 320m looks and feels, unfortunatelly this particular head is only 100w/s and has no cooling system in it.

Well. You can go to B&H, head to the studio lighting section and put in the maximum you're willing to spend per light and see what comes up. ;) You'll find lights from Impact, Interfit, Westcott and Photogenic in the 0-$200 range.

I went to B and H a few days ago not knowing that they dont sell Flashpoint 320m which is 99.00 doollar per head, next week will try to go to Adorama to see how Flashpoint 320m looks and feels, unfortunatelly this particular head is only 100w/s and has no cooling system in it.

Iirc flashpoint is exclusive to b&h.

Was able to pick up the boom and reflector up off cl. Exact same boom plus the reflector for less. In a very good condition. Woot!

Everything else gets here wed.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Was able to pick up the boom and reflector up off cl. Exact same boom plus the reflector for less. In a very good condition. Woot!

You're a bit backwards there;) Flashpoint is the Adorama house label.

You're a bit backwards there;) Flashpoint is the Adorama house label.

Duh. I get what he was saying now.

I think you'll be pretty happy with the Impacts, I would advise spending the money on really good modifiers and stands-those will last you much longer than a light anyway, and I can say from experience that working with cheap junky lightstands and softboxes is the most aggravating thing ever. I have pretty much all Manfrotto and Calumet stands now, and a corner full of busted up Impact, Interfit, Smith Vector and such stands.
For softboxes, getting something with a Bowens mount is smart-lots of good quality lights use that mount, so even if you switch brands, you can use the softboxes on the new light.

I've been eyeing these for a while as a good intro monolight. I wanted to buy two of the 24x36 softbox kits.

They been out of stock forever and I'm tired of waiting. Anything else compare to a good solid 150-300watt beginner monolight setup?
This is now back in stock at Adorama.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back