Alternative to the Flashpoint 320m?

I've been eyeing these for a while as a good intro monolight. I wanted to buy two of the 24x36 softbox kits.

They been out of stock forever and I'm tired of waiting. Anything else compare to a good solid 150-300watt beginner monolight setup?
This is now back in stock at Adorama.

It is interesting, on adorama site I selected power pack strobes and went through 19 pages and there was not even one flashpoint brand

I've been eyeing these for a while as a good intro monolight. I wanted to buy two of the 24x36 softbox kits.

They been out of stock forever and I'm tired of waiting. Anything else compare to a good solid 150-300watt beginner monolight setup?
This is now back in stock at Adorama.

It is interesting, on adorama site I selected power pack strobes and went through 19 pages and there was not even one flashpoint brand

They are monolights, not pack and head systems. ;) TheAC-DC unit is just a monolight with a DC battery pack that comes with it.

what is a "pack and head" system ?

what is a "pack and head" system ?
A monolight has all it's control circuitry built right into the light. A pack and head system has all the control circuitry built into the powerpack. The head from a pack and head system tends to be quite small since the circuitry is all in the power pack.

Just read some reviews on the battery packs for Flashpoint 620M at Adorama site, all 3 individuals were complaining that the battery packs were not holding charge even for one hour and on many occasions battery packs come defective. I suppose there is the same deal with 320 units.
I thought you would be interested

Flashpoint FP620MPPWK Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit FPML620MPPWK

Just read some reviews on the battery packs for Flashpoint 620M at Adorama site, all 3 individuals were complaining that the battery packs were not holding charge even for one hour and on many occasions battery packs come defective. I suppose there is the same deal with 320 units.

I noticed some of those complaints were about five years old, dating back to the very early days of the 320M series, which was their first AC and DC powered series; I wonder if those issues have been addressed since 2010? Also, there are other options besides **dedicated** DC battery packs; I would consider the Buff Company's more-versatile, platform-agnostic Vagabond battery option instead of a brand-specific DC battery option.

I noticed some of those complaints were about five years old, dating back to the very early days of the 320M series, which was their first AC and DC powered series; I wonder if those issues have been addressed since 2010? Also, there are other options besides **dedicated** DC battery packs; I would consider the Buff Company's more-versatile, platform-agnostic Vagabond battery option instead of a brand-specific DC battery option.

Derrel , I have not noticed that the reviews were not new but it’s scary still. It’s hard to believe that company can afford to lose the reputation and customers. I am not even talking about competitive advantage.
The reason I was looking at this particular set is because it is nicely prices and I never thought of the option of using other battery brand.
Thanks!!!

Derrel , I have not noticed that the reviews were not new but it’s scary still. It’s hard to believe that company can afford to lose the reputation and customers. I am not even talking about competitive advantage.
The reason I was looking at this particular set is because it is nicely prices and I never thought of the option of using other battery brand.
Thanks!!!
Like Derrel says, you can get the Flashpoint (no need to get the AC/DC unit for this) and get the Vagabond Mini Lithium or the Vagabond Mini Extreme for it. The DC pack that comes with the 620M has a particular plug that goes into the bottom of the monolight. The Vagabond is just a portable AC power supply. You plug your lights into it as you would into a wall outlet. It's supplying the same power.

Thanks!!!
Like Derrel says, you can get the Flashpoint (no need to get the AC/DC unit for this) and get the Vagabond Mini Lithium or the Vagabond Mini Extreme for it. The DC pack that comes with the 620M has a particular plug that goes into the bottom of the monolight. The Vagabond is just a portable AC power supply. You plug your lights into it as you would into a wall outlet. It's supplying the same power.

That makes sense as I am thinking about it. Thank you

Of course, how to remote trigger them all is the next question.

I bought the LS-PC635 cable/adapter for my RF603s. I'll just use one, and trigger the rest by slave.

Strobes came in yesterday.

The Impacts are supplied with a sync cable that fits the RF603s and there was no need to buy the LS-PC635 cable, so that will be returned when it arrives. I was able to fire all four of my lights with one trigger and the rest on slave/su-4.

So far so good. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to fool around. My only complaint with the unit is that it seems you can only turn off the beeping for readiness. I'd prefer if the readiness beep stayed on, but you could turn off the beep with every button press.

Units provide plenty of power for my needs, and the large softboxes make a huge difference compared to the tiny modifiers I had before. They were pretty easy to assemble, come with the inner diffuser panel, outer panel, and the grid and fit right onto the strobe.

Beauty Dish doesn't get here until monday, ill try to convince my wife to actually pose for me under it...

Thanks for all the discussion on powerpacks. That would have been my next post come the day :)

In ready-made, factory-built portable battery and sine wave inverters, the Paul C. BUff company and the Innovatronix company are probably the leading makers. There are also DIY plans available on-line. About seven years ago, I went with the Tronix Explorer 1200, which I still have. I had to replace the battery last year, at a cost of $39 from Radio SHack or Batteries Plus, can't recall which one I sourced it from. The one I went with is large, and heavy, I think 18 pounds. I use it as ballast in the bottom of a portable hand cart which had a light stand mounted to it, so the power source, the light stand and its flash head light, and the Speedotron power pack (200,400,800, or 600 Watt-second models mostly) can just be wheeled around and the handle let go of and Poof! All set up for a single light, with PLENTY of ballast weight to keep it from tipping over.

The smaller Vagabonds are lighter, and more geared toward monolight use, and for mounting to the light stand itself.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back