Alternatives to L-glass?

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some of you may notice from my recent posts that I'm having a hard time deciding what my next lens will be. I've got the Sigma 50mm, which I love, but I want this next lens to be my "go-to" lens (and the 50mm isn't filling that job for me due to it's focal length).

So my question is, if I'm not exactly sold yet on my focal length options from Canon's L-series, do I have any other brand options that would still be L-series quality? Sigma and Tamron seem to be great, but from what I'm gathering, they aren't quite up to snuff with Canon's pro stuff.

Of course the better the tools (in general), you have a better chance at better overall results, but there are many lenses out there that are of excellent quality that produce professional results.

While I have quite a few "L" lenses, I also have a couple of Tamron lenses that I use right along with the "L" glass.
Now, some of the comsumer grade Canon lenses I have, sure, even I wont use them in some situations, but you get the idea.

PS: with "L" lenses you feel like you could slam them to the ground and they wouldn't break, where the Tamron's feel a little skittish.

You can paint a kit lens red.

KitLtype.jpg

Of course the better the tools (in general), you have a better chance at better overall results, but there are many lenses out there that are of excellent quality that produce professional results.

While I have quite a few "L" lenses, I also have a couple of Tamron lenses that I use right along with the "L" glass.
Now, some of the comsumer grade Canon lenses I have, sure, even I wont use them in some situations, but you get the idea.

PS: with "L" lenses you feel like you could slam them to the ground and they wouldn't break, where the Tamron's feel a little skittish.

So let me ask you this... I'm on a crop sensor, and I feel like my optimal "go-to" focal length would be in the 15-18mm to 55-85mm range. I'd prefer as fast a lens as possible (2.8 would be ideal). What would you suggest that could get me as close to L-glass as possible?

So let me ask you this... I'm on a crop sensor, and I feel like my optimal "go-to" focal length would be in the 15-18mm to 55-85mm range. I'd prefer as fast a lens as possible (2.8 would be ideal). What would you suggest that could get me as close to L-glass as possible?
I'd suggest the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. It's not an L lens, but probably only because it's an EF-S lens. Most who own this lens, say that the image quality is on par with L zooms. Of course, so is the price.

My 'go to' lens (when my main cameras were crop bodies) was the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 (older non-VC version). It was less than half the price of Canon's 17-55mm and the image quality was very good. Maybe not as good as the Canon, but pretty good non-the-less. They have a new version, with VC, but it adds a couple hundred to the price. Sigma also has an 18-50mm F2.8 and a newer 17-50mm F2.8 with OS.

Another alternative, would be the Canon 17-40mm F4 L. It's one of the most affordable L lenses and a great quality lens. It only goes to 40mm and it's only F4...but it's a full frame L lens, so if you ever upgrade to a full frame body, it will be a great wide angle lens.

The one lens I had in mind is the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF Lens Review

I use this lens quite a bit on my crop as I carry that with me all the time. I keep a 50D with me. Have an XTI for Kayaking and dirty fun stuff and then my 2 full framers.

This image was taken a few years ago after kayaking with my XTI and that lens. This is one of my best selling local based gallery images

Potomac River Valley at sunset by Joey Ricard, on Flickr

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
0.003 sec (1/320)
f/7.1
28 mm
ISO 200

To add - another one of my best selling images was taken with an XTI (years ago) with the an 18-55 kit lens, lol
goes to show you that you don't have to use $$$ in every situation

Last edited:
To add - another one of my best selling images was taken with an XTI (years ago) with the an 18-55 kit lens, lol
goes to show you that you don't have to use $$$ in every situation
Amen.

I love my Tamron 17-50, but it is not as sharp as other off brands I have used. It's also only a crop sensor lens, so if you are ever going to upgrade it won't transfer. I have a lens I can only use on my crop sensor bodies and it drives me insane.
Sigma makes a 24-70 f/2.8 that is pretty impressive. Tamron makes a 28-75 that I really love-build isn't so hot on it and it's not L glass quality but for the price it's damn impressive. I'd probably choose the sigma if I had the choice to make again.

Tokina makes some pretty impressive wide zooms for your camera. Have you looked to see if any of those are what you'd like to have?

What it boils down to is that each one makes some great lenses and they also make some good and some crap. You have to research and figure out where the lens you are wanting falls into that scale.

We really need a budget. Like I said in your other thread, something like a tokina 12-24 (since canon doesn't cover that range), and a Canon 24-70 would make a nice combination.

You could always get a Nikon adapter and pickup their 16-85 f/4 :lmao:

zeiss distagon

There are loads of great lens out there. You don't have an L lens for quality, its not the be all and end all.

And at its simplest level to grade quality go by the price. If its quarter the price of an L lens, don't expect it to be up to much. But if its comparable or even more then you potentially have a very good lens there.

There are also many high quality lenses that offer important options that the L series doesn't, such as different focal lengths or straight 2.8s

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Most reactions

Back