Am I being cheap or smart...lens decision

jimi1114

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After all of the great feedback from all of you I ultimately decided on a Nikon D3s. As such, I am looking for a good versatile lens to match it.

I have been going back and forth between the Nikon 24-70 and the Sigma 24-70 (new HSM model). I am not pro but this is becoming a pretty serious passion for me, that is why I am making the investment in the D3s.

The Nikon is about $1,000 more then the Sigma, but I have read many reviews on the Sigma and most are very positive. Will I be disappointed in time with the Sigma even though I will keep some money in the wallet? Or take the jump and go for the Nikon?

Anyone shooting with the Sigma... I have searched and have not found any good comparisons between the Sigma and Nikon.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim.

Last edited:
Well if you have the money the nikon version is better. The build quality is far superior. Also the nikon is all internal and makes it a lot harder for things to get into the lens.
TJ

I have a the old sigma 24-60mm f2.8 on my d700... it's not as good as a nikon, but it's close enough for my tastes. If absolute perfect IQ is needed, I end up switching to a prime anyway.

If you're looking for perfection, Nikon is the only way to achieve that, needless to say really. But if you're low on cash, get what you can afford and keep on saving, eventually you can sell off the cheaper lens and get a better one. Also, be sure to shop around, don't settle, you can always find a good deal.

If you are investing so much into a body, then I don't see why you wouldn't invest as much in the lens.

If you are feeling that the D3s is the right camera for you, based on your current shooting level and subject matter, then remember that a top of the line lens will last you so much longer than an entry level lens. If this passion blooms into something more, you will probably want to upgrade that Sigma to the Nikon.

If you have to ask this question, you don't need the Nikon lens nor the D3s.....

If you care enough to spring for the D3 then you care enough to buy the best lens. Get the Nikon, I use it all the time and it is tack sharp at f2.8 which is where I use it.

But I kind of agree with Montana....

Thanks folks, I really appreciate the feedback. I will go on the hunt for a good deal on the Nikon.

Thanks again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back