Am I being too anal ?

Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I won an auction on ebay for a used D7200 from a US brick and mortar camera store.

They actually shipped the camera Without a body cap...

In their defense it was wrapped in plastic and secured with rubber bands But....

WTF ?

Cheers, Don

You will probably have to spring for a body cap. I am actually surprised that a real brick and mortar camera store would ship such a good camera without a body cap, or at the very least some type of protection for the mirror. WTF, indeed!

Of course now that you own the camera,I am sure you can buy the replacement body cap, or slap a lens on to the body and thus protect your investment.

Just write to them... maybe they have it and forgot somehow to include it..maybe they will locate one etc..

You will probably have to spring for a body cap. I am actually surprised that a real brick and mortar camera store would ship such a good camera without a body cap, or at the very least some type of protection for the mirror. WTF, indeed!

Of course now that you own the camera,I am sure you can buy the replacement body cap, or slap a lens on to the body and thus protect your investment.

Caps are cheap enough and I do have spares but to treat "my" camera that way, well...... :)

Just write to them... maybe they have it and forgot somehow to include it..maybe they will locate one etc..

Not worth the trouble. As Derrel suggested, I'll just have to put a lens on it, he, he.....

Cheers, Don

Caps are cheap enough and I do have spares but to treat "my" camera that way, well...... :)

Not worth the trouble. As Derrel suggested, I'll just have to put a lens on it, he, he.....

Cheers, Don
your right..enjoy your new camera!

If you have a puffer /blower just give the body a gentle puff to remove any dust/bits that may have got inside
And enjoy the new camera

Ok good I will try and not tell gran ma how to suck eggs.
You could mention in passing to the shop that in the photography world not supplying a body is bad form and will put off some customers.

Have fun, looking forward to seeing some images

Ok good I will try and not tell gran ma how to suck eggs.
You could mention in passing to the shop that in the photography world not supplying a body is bad form and will put off some customers.

You think it would be a given that "we" as buyers like boxes, covers, cables, straps, etc. My biggest peeve is lens for sale, most sellers do not include an image of the mounting ring !

Have fun, looking forward to seeing some images

Thanks ! I'm planning on shooting more landscape and macro with this body.

After shooting a D800 and 2.8 lens the D7200 with a AF-P 10-20mm looks and feels like a toy :)

Cheers, Don

I don't think you're being too anal at all. It sounds like it survived intact which is good, but knowing Canada Post, it wasn't due to lack of effort on their part. While the cling film may have kept out the dust, it would be precious little protection for the mirror chamber/assembly in the event of an impact. I would definitely send them an e-mail and let them know you weren't pleased.

This isn't unusual.
I have had lenses shipped w/o caps, and they sell the caps at hiked prices to boot!
for many however and what I have discovered unfortunately where I am at, lens caps are hard to come by anymore.

A 2 cent piece of plastic being sold at BB or other "electronics store' for over $14 is IMO highway robbery, but good profit items.

trust me when I say its not your imagination.

I won an auction on ebay for a used D7200 from a US brick and mortar camera store.

In their defense it was wrapped in plastic and secured with rubber bands But....

WTF ?
That is how they received the camera. If the store didn't receive it with a body cap, they didn't have one to include. The former owner is probably the one who wrapped it in plastic. So, yes, you're being anal about it. Just give it a good test, as the store probably has not done so.

And have FUN with it!

I don't think you're being too anal at all. It sounds like it survived intact which is good, but knowing Canada Post, it wasn't due to lack of effort on their part. While the cling film may have kept out the dust, it would be precious little protection for the mirror chamber/assembly in the event of an impact. I would definitely send them an e-mail and let them know you weren't pleased.

Thanks John ! I think I'll just leave them an appropriate feedback :)

This isn't unusual.
I have had lenses shipped w/o caps, and they sell the caps at hiked prices to boot!
for many however and what I have discovered unfortunately where I am at, lens caps are hard to come by anymore.

A 2 cent piece of plastic being sold at BB or other "electronics store' for over $14 is IMO highway robbery, but good profit items.

trust me when I say its not your imagination.

In the sellers defense, I went back and reviewed their images and sure enough, no body cap in the pictures. But, geez. Surely a camera store has one in stock ?

WTF ?
That is how they received the camera. If the store didn't receive it with a body cap, they didn't have one to include. The former owner is probably the one who wrapped it in plastic. So, yes, you're being anal about it. Just give it a good test, as the store probably has not done so.

And have FUN with it!

I think it is highly unlikely they couldn't scrounge up a body cap, he, he...

If it was wrapped originally it would have to have been unwrapped to take the auction pictures.

Anywho, I'm still blown away with the lack of care/respect shown. Somebody is not doing their job with any enthusiasm.

Ultimately it may have worked in my favor, there were only four bids and one of those was mine :)

Selling the Vivitar grip it came with should cover the cost of the body cap, he, he...

Took a shot of the sky today and found 10 spots worth worrying about, three applications of the Eyelead and it's ready to play !

Before (the little black dots are actually arrows)

Before.jpg

After...

After.jpg

Cheers, Don

Gotta disagree with you here... irrespective of whether the camera arrived with a body cap, it should have shipped with one. You can buy generic Nikon body caps for <$1.00/each on fleaBay, and as mentioned, what camera store doesn't have a BUCKET of them kicking around? Put one on, THEN wrap it in cling-film and send it, but if something had poked through the wrapping, Don would have had a Nikon-shaped paper-weight!

And have FUN with it!
This ^^^^^ is the important bit!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back