Am I entitled to give a critique to a painter?

It is perfectly OK as long as you do not use words "tack sharp", "bokeh" and "barrel distortion".

How would you feel if a painter critiqued your photography?

great!
I've been listening to some podcasts done by professional best-selling authors. They often say that people who 'don't know the craft' will often be able to identify when something is wrong- just not able to articulate how to fix it. Their take is very much that it doesn't matter how immersed you are- any flag that says there's trouble is potentially valuable.

I agree.

I want to hear critique from anyone, no matter what they do and know, because I care more about the impact of the photo then about technicalities. Anyone, with/without any kind of knowledge will react or wont react on photo/painting and everybody will know how to say it or at least they'll try.
I want to hear critique from anyone because I realize that I can listen, think about that particular critique, filter it if necessary and apply it next time. But realizing who I am when listening critique made me realize that others maybe aren't like that so I surely wont give critique when I'm not asked to give it.

I'm with you! I would like to hear what everyone has to say. If it's someone that doesn't have the same thought process as me, even better. You can learn something new from anyone. =)

The answer is "no."

Mind your business.

That's not what art is, that's seeing something your way... which defeats the purpose.

If they don't ask, don't tell. If they ask, be honest. If they can't take your opinion then they were any kind of friend tobegin with.

Simple answer, yes.

They are different and so similar at the same time. In the end, when the work is complete they're very similar. They're both images. You may not be able to critique certain things like her/his brush strokes but you can give her pointers on things like the elements/principles she utilized, ect.

Maybe you could just strike up a conversation with her, you said she's your friend so she shouldn't mind. Tell her you're interested in hearing her thoughts behind the composition in her piece. Who knows, maybe you could learn something and/or help her at the same time.

Maybe you could just strike up a conversation with her, you said she's your friend so she shouldn't mind. Tell her you're interested in hearing her thoughts behind the composition in her piece. Who knows, maybe you could learn something and/or help her at the same time.

We used to be good friends but we're not that anymore, so I can't really start a conversation with her. I rarely even see her now.
On the other hand, I would like to talk with her, just to help her to put some things in a right place...she'll probably find someone else who knows what is she doing wrong...I hope, because she is very talented

she definitely made me think more about photography-painting relation.

I've always wanted to know how to paint but I really suck in it! So no hope for me in that area :)

Photography is similar to painting in some ways, just as keeping a diary is similar to writing literature. Painting had a very hard time being accepted as a liberal art, and photography is still in the bus on the way to the Academy. If, as a photographer, you decide to offer a painter criticism on their work, you had better have a very, very thick skin :)

Photography is similar to painting in some ways, just as keeping a diary is similar to writing literature. Painting had a very hard time being accepted as a liberal art, and photography is still in the bus on the way to the Academy. If, as a photographer, you decide to offer a painter criticism on their work, you had better have a very, very thick skin :)

so true :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back