Am I getting any better? 1 for C&C!

JoshC.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is one I took today. It was sooo cold out and I wasn't out for long, but this was the best I got. What do you guys think? Editing getting better?

ISO 100, 18mm, f/8, 1/50 sec, and handheld. Editing done in lightroom.
5385763607_5551f65677_b.jpg

It's a nice enough image, and I don't see anything 'off' with the editing. This is the sort of image that a couple of stops of graduated ND filter will take from nice to outstanding.

It's a nice enough image, and I don't see anything 'off' with the editing. This is the sort of image that a couple of stops of graduated ND filter will take from nice to outstanding.

What exactly would an ND filter change? Thank you!

Subject is unclear, and a bit better timing could have brought out some beautiful colors in the sky. Nice shot tho!

Great information about Neutral Density filters: Neutral Density Filters: What are they & when to use them ? | ADIDAP

I'm not sure what it would have done specifically with this photo, I've never used these filters before, but I was curious so I looked it up.

Perhaps Tirediron is suggesting more depth of field would make the image better. I agree if this is the case.

I like the composition of this image, I'm not too fond of the sky though. It's pretty overexposed.

A graduated ND filter would have reduced the dynamic range between the bright sky and the [relatively] dark snow and given you much more sky/cloud detail and allowed you to have a brighter, whiter foreground.

Thank you everybody for the feedback! Why do you say the subject is unclear? To me the fallen branches seem pretty obvious? Maybe not though.

You see the area where the f.g. braches disappear into the background because they're the same tone? That's called poor separation. Same concept that studio photographers wrestle with from time to time -- how to use light (or snow in your case) to create outlines that contrast with the tones in the background.

Sorry to do this to your baby, but hopefully you get my drift:

5387745687_6e60cbea69.jpg

I agree with the graduated ND comment. Otherwise a very pleasant image.

You see the area where the f.g. braches disappear into the background because they're the same tone? That's called poor separation. Same concept that studio photographers wrestle with from time to time -- how to use light (or snow in your case) to create outlines that contrast with the tones in the background.

Sorry to do this to your baby, but hopefully you get my drift:

5387745687_6e60cbea69.jpg

Yea I get your drift. So how do I fix that when taking the photo?

Most reactions

Back