Am I getting in over my head??

supermanning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have done all the research (saved my pennies) and I've decided I really want to purchase the Canon 7D.
I am a recreational photographer, love taking sports pics for my kids teams, and some portrait/baby pics for friends, etc.
I think I have a pretty good eye, but my tech knowledge is lacking. The 70-200 2.8 lens has made my life soooo much better, most of my sports pics are hockey and lacrosse.
I went to purchase the 7D and was completely intimidated. Should I wait, or just dive in and learn as I go?? I've seen some clips on YouTube, (any recommendations?) I feel like I need a walk thru of the body to know where everything is. i know the equipment doesn't make the photographer, but I think I'm ready to move to the next level

What camera do you currently shoot? If you use the 70-200 F2.8 I would hope your not using the auto setting on the camera. So getting the 7d would be real similar but hopefully with better images and more functions. What intrigues you about the 7D over your current camera?

i have a Rebel XTi. I shoot everything in Manual, high speed sports pics in AV. I just purchased a 50mm 1.4 lens to do more portraits. Started in B&W, (with the new lens) and have not been happy with my shots yet. I'm kind of a trial and error person ;).
I feel like I've outgrown the XTi, but not sure if I'm ready for the 7D...

In the big picture, there isn't a huge difference between the XTi and the 7D. The biggest difference, IMO, is probably the ergonomics and the layout of the controls...which you would probably get used to in a few days.

You might also consider a 40D or 50D. It will still be a step up, but save you a good chunk of money.

If you really want an upgrade and a camera that will do well with sports, then consider a 1D series body. I think they are currently on the mark IV version, so you might be able to get a mk II or III for a reasonable price. These are 'Pro' cameras and probably even more intimidating that the 7D....but your unlikely to ever outgrow it.

My 50D is alot better at higher ISO than my XT. I would also think the 7D would be alot better at Higher ISO than the XTI.

From the XTi, the 7D has better ergonomics, more megapixels, vastly superior high ISO performance, a vastly superior autofocus system (bested only by the 1D-IV), faster shot speed (8 fps vs 3 fps), larger shot buffer, better LCD, more options as far as bracketing (3 stops, also has 5-stop EV Comp in semi-auto modes) and ISO (1/2 and 3rd stops, auto mode), 3 custom config modes, longer battery life, wider and brighter viewfinder (with 100% coverage) and a better build quality. You lose all 'automatic' style modes other than 'auto'.

If you shoot in manual and Av already with the XTi, the only thing you'll have to train yourself to do is use the wheel/thumb wheel to manipulate the exposure and exposure compensation rather than the single wheel with a 'shift' key.

Like all Nikon dSLR's, the 7D was the first ever Canon to have color-aware metering/focusing, which rufus5150 mentioned. The new 1D MKIV has it too.

Having 2 command wheels is a treat too.

Suffice it to say EVERYTHING about the 7D is an improvement over the XTi. However, if you want to save a little money, I'd look at the T2i which shares many 7D features, but lacks the physical ruggedness and a few other points.

I went to purchase the 7D and was completely intimidated. Should I wait, or just dive in and learn as I go?? I've seen some clips on YouTube, (any recommendations?) I feel like I need a walk thru of the body to know where everything is. i know the equipment doesn't make the photographer, but I think I'm ready to move to the next level

One of the best and fastest ways to accomplish this feat, is to have the camera in hand and practice with it.
I have had the 7D for a number of weeks now, and I am becoming more familar/comfortable each day.

I jump from XTi to 40D and I really do not want to go back. I am spoiled by the 2 wheels, top display, spot meter (I use this 99%), faster fps, better AF and the bigger physical size (for my bigger hands). I am sure if you jump to 7D, you will like it since 7D is equal or better than the 40D. Or wait until August and see if Canon will announce the new 60D. If yes, you have one more choice.

thanks!! I think I'll make the leap. Maybe I can graduate from TPF Noob

Just remember the words of wisdom by Fuzzy Zeller in his Fuzzy Zeller signature Dunlop golf club commercials...

"You can buy the clubs, but the swing is mine!"

that doesn't bode well for me though. You should see how nice my golf equipment is, and I still can't play that stupid game!

Nicer equipment actually does make your job easier though.

Everything is right where you need it.

Probably the only down side is that higher end gear is heavier. Some people like that though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back