Am I getting screwed?

sgbphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have an interesting opportunity. Someone I know works for Kennecott Copper. I have been given the opportunity to go to the Kennecott wildlife preserve--accompanied by a Kennecott employed biologist--to photograph wildlife. This area is closed to the general public and rarely visited by humans. Additionally, they offered to take me on a tour of the operation centers--the smelter, the concentrator, etc--again, areas that are closed to the general public. I should be able to get some really cool industrial type photographs in addition to the nature/wildlife photographs. All in all, this is a rare opportunity. I'll get some cool photographs, I'll get to see some cool things, and I'll get to take credit for doing some work for a really big client.

Here's the catch: They want the right to use the photographs I take however and wherever they want. No matter how you look at it, this is a great opportunity, but I know I'm probably getting screwed. Should I try to work out some kind of contract/licensing agreement? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Well, if they want the rights to the images...they should pay for them. That's quite common and there are several different ways to go about selling them the rights. Just make sure that you have a good contract that outlines their usage and your payment.

Now, on other other hand, if this is private property, they don't have to let you shoot...so it's at their discretion and if you ask for too much, they might just say no.

If they really wanted photos for their own use, the would probaly hire a photographer for the job (rather than just get someone they know)...but maybe this opportunity could turn into that.

Personally, I just think they are covering there asses. If you published a photo of a three-eyed fish on their preserve, they could suffer some serious repercussions...so they want to be sure they won't get screwed.

Thanks for the reply, Mike. You are correct, they could just hire a photographer to get photos. I'm told they will hire someone at least once a year to get photos for their annual reports and other stuff like that. However, I'm also told that they have a "closed list" of photographers. I'm hoping this will get me on their list. But either way, I feel like I should get something out of this--at least a credit for shooting the photos. Since I'm like a guppy trying to tangle with a shark, I'm not sure how to go about it.

In my opinion, yes, they're trying to take advantage of you. What it comes down to in my mind is that their thought process is "Can we get free photography?". As long as there are people out there willing to trade free photography services for a rare opportunity, people will ask.

I guess you just have to decide if the opportunity is worth giving away your photography.

You could try giving them the photos, but with a watermark or with your name featured prominently on it. Then, if they do want to use it for commercial purposes, the will have to come back to you and ask for a clean version.

Or maybe you just take this opportunity for what it could be, a good opportunity. Maybe that means you have to give away some photos...it may lead to bigger and better things.

I agree with Mike, if your not into it for making cash, and you want to get some kick ass shots no-one else can, then take it as a good opportunity, then if they ask you back next year, then charge them as you have the shots you need. Also you can advise them they can use them on copy docs and website but if for commerical use then a fee may be involved.

lets put it like this......

"Money isn't everything but it ranks right up there with oxygen."

But if its something you want and outweighs the need for monetary gain, then sure take the pix. The money shouldn't matter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back