Am I improving?

Abstract

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am practising animal portraiture and slowly with the help of all the lovely people here I'm learning more. Below are 3 portraits do you think there is an improvement in the quality of image? if not please say I know I have tonnes more to learn. thanks :hug::

Attempt 1
58ef49c0.jpg

Attempt 2
Cassie.jpg

Attempt 3
deviantb.jpg

#1 is still my fav except for the lack of catch lights in the eyes. Beautiful retreiver!!!

#3 is next imho, and might be #1 but I think it's a tiny bit out of focus.

#2 is a nice shot, but I don't like the bg.

Technically they're not bad, things that you mentioned there are small factors, but I think it has more to do with the dog's expression.

#1. The dog looks very noble and patient.

#2 and #3. The dogs look very sad.

I'm don't really dabble in animal portraits, but as someone who owns a dog, I can say that if I were to have a portrait of my dog taken, I would want the dog to look happy or something positive. I wouldn't want people to see a picture of my dog and think that I abuse it.

Maybe try to get more candid shots or give the dog something to do while to take photos of it. Give them treats or something that might cheer them up a bit. I dunno, taking photos of dogs is equally as tough as getting pictures of kids and teenagers that don't want their picture taken.

I'm not much on critique :confused: The bg in #2 is a little distracting. The colors blend too much with the deep dof. I think all three would benefit from different crops. I think for #1, tighter on the right and a little more space on the left. #2 is too square and #3 is just a little too tight.

But I would say, you are improving. The exposure and focus are looking good :thumbup:

Some catchlights in number one would make it perfect. In the other two, the subject looks very sad.

I could only see #3, and I like the sad expresion in the dog's face, but being a purebreed and hopefully a happy dog, maybe it's not the best pic to display home, I would prefer a happier expression... just my opinion.

Wonder why I can't see #1 and #2....?

oh I deleted them because I was a bit hurt by people thinking my dogs are abused and sad. I will upload some more another time.

Abstract said:
oh I deleted them because I was a bit hurt by people thinking my dogs are abused and sad. I will upload some more another time.
Awww...don't worry, I did some portraits of these dogs I sit for a lot and they looked kind of sad in them too. And I know they aren't! I think they were just kind of sleepy when I took them. Does anyone have any tips for photographing animals and getting them to look "happy"?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back