am i the only one who does post-processing in iPhoto

austriker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dlindahlphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
alright, so before you all flame for using iPhoto's minimalistic features to edit photos i will explain the rational for using it.
1) I am a poor college student and would rather invest in a lense than pay for a program (which i am just using the default lense right now).

2) I am trying to not rely on post processing and just make my initial photos great before advancing to using PS. I am just a beginner (had my own d40 for about one month but been shooting off and on for around one year) and so i do not feel the greatest need to get PS.

That being said i was wondering if anyone has any great tricks or tips they use in iPhoto. I am trying to advance my editing techniques in iPhoto (now i sound hypocritical oops) as to better my photos (yup definitely sounds like a hypocrite). Does anyone out there use it and have tips for editing? When i edit i know basic functions like moving the sliders (aperture makes it lighter for example). Is there anything more for me to learn?

i am using iPhoto '08. version 7.1.1

I don't know anything about iPhoto, but many people compare GIMP to Photoshop, and it's free! I assume there are as many GIMP tutorial sites out there as PS tutorial sites.

http://www.gimp.org/

Regardless of what product you are using, you are right on with trying to get the best image out of the camera. To many people seem to rely on just snapping away and knowing they have hundreds of $$ or more in editing programs to fix there half ass attempts at photography.
In my opinion there should be a simple Levels, Exposure/Contrast, and Unsharp Mask that anyone really needs. Unless they are doing professional photography.

Regardless of what product you are using, you are right on with trying to get the best image out of the camera. To many people seem to rely on just snapping away and knowing they have hundreds of $$ or more in editing programs to fix there half ass attempts at photography.
In my opinion there should be a simple Levels, Exposure/Contrast, and Unsharp Mask that anyone really needs. Unless they are doing professional photography.

Expand that, levels, color balance, contrast/exp, saturation & USM and you've got it. H

definatly need levels in there!

If your not out for expense GIMP has already been mentioned and there are Photoshop Elements and Paintshop Pro on the market as well at more affordable prices. Honestly something like full photoshop is a waste when starting out since most of what you are paying for you won't be using for many years (and some never do learn to use those tools) better definatly to focus on the gear that lets you get the shot - you can always reedit in 10 years time if you choose, but you can't never go back to get a shot with a new lens (oh you can get similar shots, but never the same shot)

i am not sure i really understand what all the levels really do. i know exposure lightens it and shadows bring out the shadows but other than that i am not really sure what the others do (saturation, hue, tint etc)

Levels is one of the few commands that works very well with its auto (at least with my experiences with photoshop elements) command. Its brilliant at removing a colour haze over a photo - sometimes you don't even notice until you run the levels edit that there is a colour haze.
here have a read of this website:
http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm
good and easy to understand articles on a lot of aspects although mostly aimed at editing.

i am not sure i really understand what all the levels really do.

Levels is a graph of the tones in a photo. You can view it as individual red, green, and blue channels, or as one averaged luminosity channel. The left end of the graph is black (#0), and the right end is white (#255). Usually you are given 3 points (or arrows) to adjust: black point, white point, and midtone point. The histogram shows you where the tones start out, and then you can move the points to stretch or tweak the tonal range. You should be able to see the effects in a preview, but if not they usually show the numbers of the tones being adjusted. Just sliding the black and white points in to the edges of the histogram usually improves contrast.

Curves is the same thing, except instead of 3 adjustable points you can use as many as you want.

Saturation is the purity of a color. For example as you increase saturation pixels that are reddish turn more solid red.

Hue is the color.

Tint in painting is a color blended with white, but in photo editing software it is often the green/magenta white balance correction.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back