Am I weird? Av vs Tv (I never use Tv)

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For almost anything, including sports where you need a fast shutter, I use Av, am I weird to use Av to get a faster shutter speed?

Some people use shutter speed to set a fast shutter for sports. On the other hand I use a big aperture or small f/number to get faster shutter speeds. Not to mention, shutter doesnt change the quality of images (sharpness, CA, etc) but aperture does so Id like to know what aperture its using...

I do use Tv, but mostly for time elapsed shooting. (Water motion, night shots, etc)

Woops, meant to be posted in beyond the basics :p

I also use Av often and Tv hardly ever.

When you think about it...Av or Tv are basically the same....as long as you look at both settings while you shoot. When you are shooting sports for example, you know that if you choose the largest aperture, the camera will give you the fastest shutter speed. If I want to do a long shutter speed shoot, then I choose the smallest aperture.

This works better because the shutter speed doens't have the same limits that the aperture does. For example, when shooting sports you might choose a shutter speed of 1/500...but if the light isn't good, the aperture can't open any more than the max, to make up for it. It will just flash, to tell you that the shutter speed is too fast.

You just have a native understanding of the "exposure triangle" or sea-saw as I call it

Commonly known as reciprocity: the inverse relationship of intensity and time for the exposure of photographic materials. Time (shutter) x intensity (aperture) = exposure.

I also use Av often and Tv hardly ever.

I just asked someone in the basics section why they use TV for stopping action. I have typically used Manual mode.

The only advantage I see is the camera will adjust for changing light conditions.

I may try Av next time and see how it works

Commonly known as reciprocity: the inverse relationship of intensity and time for the exposure of photographic materials. Time (shutter) x intensity (aperture) = exposure.

Time, intensity, and sensitivity, yes but I thought "reciprocity" would be too generic of a term. "Exposure Triangle" is searchable too. :D Either way really - as long as the meaning is understood.

my approach is quite similar.

I mean, if you know what the light is and you chose your ISO accordingly to get a high shutter speed for your chosen aperture, then that is good.

Most reactions

Back