AMA Superbike races....

woodyracing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this is my first attempt at "sports photography" or anything like that, really. Went to the AMA Superbike races at Road Atlanta (near Atlanta obviously lol). I'm a former amateur racer and have been around motorcycle racing for years so I decided to go to see what I could get from the weekend. Using my Canon T2i and I actually rented a couple of lenses from borrowlenses.com, a Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM and a Canon EF 16-35 F2.8L. My only telephoto lens is a 70-200 L with no IS and it's really hard to get clean shots at 200 without a tripod and especially trying to pan to follow moving objects (like motorcycles for example) and I obviously have no press credentials so 200mm wasn't going to get me the shots I wanted anyway....

The weekend went pretty well, I was going to be there Fri-Sun but couldn't make it until almost noon on Saturday.

The lenses were great, the 100-400 was perfect for what I needed, it's push-pull to zoom which was a little strange but I got used to it. It had been used a LOT though and the hood that came with it wouldn't stay on worth anything. I need a lot of practice on panning and really everything related to shooting a moving motorcycle but by the end of the weekend, I was getting the hang of it. I did still use my 70-200 because it turned out to be perfect for the podium ceremonies and I wasn't as scared about it getting drenched with champagne as I was about the rented lenses...

So anyway, enough talk, here are some pics and there are plenty more on my flickr page if anyone just wants to look at more (I know ya'll don't like clicking things so it's totally optional lol)

IMG_8375 by woodyracing, on Flickr

IMG_9219 by woodyracing, on Flickr

IMG_7611 by woodyracing, on Flickr

IMG_7062 by woodyracing, on Flickr

IMG_9244 by woodyracing, on Flickr

IMG_8360 by woodyracing, on Flickr

IMG_8591 by woodyracing, on Flickr

IMG_8426 by woodyracing, on Flickr

IMG_9403 by woodyracing, on Flickr

IMG_9864 by woodyracing, on Flickr

IMG_9866 by woodyracing, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks like you had a good weekend of racing to catch. Pretty good for using equipment and shooting something you've never shot before. In the future you'll find a couple of file labels work well to keep hoods in place and take up no room in any bag.

I like the series. There are a couple where you cropped bodies or bikes that I think have room for improvement, but I really liked how #9 and #2 came out. As a series, I think it works, even when some individual sots could be improved.

Great pics! I love Road Atlanta, in fact I'm headed there in 15 days!

Good catch with the one of the guy going down as he's entering the down hill left turn, I know the general area you would've had to have been in to get that shot. Were you using a tripod or monopod on that one?

Nice stuff!

Thanks!!

thanks everybody! Tony, thanks for the tip, I'll definitely get some of those to put in my bag

onehundredoctane, thanks, Road A is one of my favorite tracks. I used to race motorcycles but ran out of money lol. Wasn't using a tripod or monopod on any of them, found out my monopod was broken when I got there so I just did without.

thanks everybody! Tony, thanks for the tip, I'll definitely get some of those to put in my bag

onehundredoctane, thanks, Road A is one of my favorite tracks.

Have you been to Virginia International Raceway? It's only an hour and a half from me so I'll find any excuse to go. They're hosting the American Le Mans Series this September, I can't wait! Are you only into motorcycles or do you shoot cars also?

Most reactions

Back