Amazing Opportunity but I need advice.

So, I have been asked by my Church to go to Cuba during their next mission trip. My sole purpose would be to, through photography, document the trip. I would have a couple of days to explore Havanna but primarily I will be taking pictures of the people and their families. If you have been to Cuba how do the authorities feel about DSLR cameras.

Any tips if you been there or concerns? I have no intention of taking thousands of dollars worth of equipment but enough to get the job done.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I went on a mission trip to Jacksonville, FL.

I assume you are talking about the mission people and their families. I had a great time in Jacksonville, FL. What an experience to see the homeless and really see how fortunate we really are.

I don't see any problems with cameras there. As said in previous posts, tourism is a big thing down there. In essence, you are nothing more than a tourist....except with you, there is a specific purpose.

Not sure what you are shooting with, but I took EVERYTHING I had at the time. D300, D80, 70-200, 105 macro......everything. You NEVER know what you will need. I carried 40 pounds of equimpent around for 4 days.

I was there to document, that's what what I brought the equipment to do, document. You might consider doing the same. As I said, I'm not sure the lens you have.

If I had a choice, 2 bodies, one telephoto, one wide angle and a past prime. Other than that, I'd suggest everything.

~Michael~

uh....Cuba is not the same as Florida?

Taking photos in Cuba is not a problem for Canadians, Judd and Dan, so for most tourist type shots, I doubt there would be any problems for Americans either.

I get the impression that for Americans there are more problems with their own authorities than with Cuba.

skieur

Supposedly from what I read Cuba LOVES the tourist's, American or otherwise. The issue is not with Cuba, it is with the USA. You could easily get to Cuba, but when you return your passport is going to show that you were in Cuba

The OP has no issues as I am sure they would have a license from the USA. Your average Joe would have issues

Thank you all so much for your responses. They do make me feel a lot better about going. Just FYI, I will be receiving a religious license for travel (it is all legal). I will be flying to the Bahamas prior to Cuba.

I have heard that it is a safe place to travel and once you get past airport security on the way in you're golden. I am looking forward to the trip and thanks again for all the responses!!!!!

I currently use Nikon equipment (D200 with some good glass). I may "rent" a D3s for the trip and use the D200 as a back up. I will also need to get in some umbrellas and maybe a lightstand. I should get that through check luggage without a problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back