Amazing samples of the D810 in various conditions

ruifo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am more and more impressed by the D810. Have a look in some sample shots from new Flickr groups like this one:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/d810-award

Pretty good stuff there, in a variety of condition, like sports, low light, macro, portraits, etc. The ones using the ISO 64 look so good. And there is an interesting poll of lenses in these shots as well.

Looks good I'm getting mine this week. Just a little concern with the sensitivity of a 36mp sensor. It won't be so forgiving as a 24mp especially when handholding with lower ss.

Is there a controlled test we could do to see if people can tell the difference between for example: d800/d800e/d810? I would even like to see the d610 & d7100 being put to a blind test with the d810 to see if people can genuinely see the difference. But that is not to say that this camera isn't amazing in what it does.

You would only see the difference if you pixel peep or perform 'extreme' cropping. There are reviews on comparison between D810 & D800e and some how I prefer the images of the D800e in terms of contrast and clarity at raw :O

Maybe, only the shots below ISO 100 are more identifiable, for the trained eye, once the D810 is the only DSLR with native ISO below 100.

Maybe, only the shots below ISO 100 are more identifiable, for the trained eye, once the D810 is the only DSLR with native ISO below 100.

My D600 can shoot at ISO 50, but native is still 100. Native is 64 on the D810?

edit: looks like it. Low 0.3 and 1 is 50 and 32 respectively.

I love the movement on the Chinese Theater shot.

Last edited:
Yes, 64 native and 50/32 Low.
Its the 1st DSLR going below 100 as native, and this is really showing up.
A new break through in the modern SLRs.

Here is a more controlled test of the iso ranges: tests 1, test 2.

Some of the women's professional surfing shots done in crop mode with the new Tamron 150-600 look pretty "smudgy", even though they were shot in bright, marine conditions in the California sunshine.

Here's one they link to, and here is the Original sized image on FLickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/herosjourneymythology45surf/14802141701/in/pool-d810-awar

No "real detail"…look at it closely…the fine detail is all watercolor effected, as if heavy noise reduction had been applied. Look across the bottom of the frame, and look at her arm…

This frame was shot at 1/1000 second at f/6.3 and ISO 250. Not really that impressive, and I think shooting this in crop-mode has really hurt this close-in shot. Look at it in the largest size and you can see what I mean.

the exif says ISO 200. Looks more like ISO 20,000 + NR. same with the others in the series.

meanwhile, this motion is still amazing: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nelsonchee/14617632427/in/pool-d810-award/

My EXIF reader says ISO 250. But yeah, the ENTIRE series looks very "watercolorish"; that was the name given to noise reduction software in the early Kodak 14 megapixel full-frame camera back when it was the ultimate resolution king; there is a sense of high resolving ability, in a way, but when one looks carefully, there is this weird, hard to describe lack of REAL, actually-shown detail. That was called "the watercolor effect". I still know it when I see it. I spotted the two surf shots as sub-par just from the small thumbnails; examining the large files is disconcerting, especially given the BRIGHT conditions. I agree with you: the look of those images is like sky-high ISO then heavy, detail-killing noise reduction being applied. I am wondering if the sensor was hot from her rapid-fire blasting away and the camera being in the California sun? Because if that is ISO 200 or 250, even crop-frame, there's something weird going on.

Not sure why my EXIF reader says 250 and your says 200; are we maybe on a different frame? Maybe the shooter had AUTO ISO enabled?

Is there a controlled test we could do to see if people can tell the difference between for example: d800/d800e/d810? I would even like to see the d610 & d7100 being put to a blind test with the d810 to see if people can genuinely see the difference. But that is not to say that this camera isn't amazing in what it does.
Pretty tough to tell with compressed JPEG on a computer monitor.

nah, I've seen CostalConn's shots using the lens on the D7100.

Derell--I just can't read--I see 250.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back