Amazing shot from the U.S. Army

Overly edited? How so?

I mean overly produced...whether it is or not, it looks setup, with artificial lighting from the right. I've never been in the military but don't soldiers protect themselves behind some sort of barrier? To me it just has a look similar to computer generated, like a video game.

I'm in the Army, and it looks to me like this guy is at some sort of firing range, in which case, he would not be behind a barrier. I think the photos are fantastic, and I'm excited to leave for the army photo journalism course next month!

I'm in the Army, and it looks to me like this guy is at some sort of firing range, in which case, he would not be behind a barrier. I think the photos are fantastic, and I'm excited to leave for the army photo journalism course next month!

This one to me is just too posed. There are some of the other terrific photos on that link I liked more than this one.

There are some of the other terrific photos on that link I liked more than this one.
Same for me. I don't really know why they picked that one for "Photo of the year"... I saw a bunch on there that I thought were better... And I only looked back to around November or September 2010 - I'm sure if I looked at everything from the whole year, I would find even more.

It's a great photo, but I agree that 'Photo of the Year' is a bit much.

The one thing that I find odd, is the series of lens flares...and how they each seem to be star-bursting. I might be wrong, but I don't think you get that effect on lens flare spots...at least not to the same degree that you get it on the original specular highlight (sun). In other words, the lens flares look faked...or maybe they were there, but overly enhanced.

I liked the photo a lot but as others have mentioned, don't think it's really photo of the year material.
The lighting is excellent however and I would be pleased to take a shot with such effective lighting

Yeah I agree, nothing amazing. Anyone with off camera flash, access, and a decent camera could have taken that shot. If it was a real battle situation I would feel different probably. Its a good shot though. Just expected more from the title.

Nice shots. And lol at the guys firing a cannon and holding their fingers in their ears! That hurts.

Most reactions

Back