American PSA about the new Canada.

Does it matter?
Only insofar as it relates to the "drugs are harmless, alcohol is what is truly evil" argument put forth so frequently.

It's a lot like the "weed is the same as heroin" and leads to the same types of problems argument that you are putting forth...misguided and built upon old, unsubstantiated fears. Typical of the Reefer Madness school of education that was prevalent during your youth.

Just LOOK at these degenerates, dancing to jazz music...

" debauchery,violence,murder,suicide, and the inevitable end of the marijuana addict:hopeless insanity!"

Does it matter?
Only insofar as it relates to the "drugs are harmless, alcohol is what is truly evil" argument put forth so frequently.

It's a lot like the "weed is the same as heroin" and leads to the same types of problems argument that you are putting forth...misguided and built upon old, unsubstantiated fears. Typical of the Reefer Madness school of education that was prevalent during your youth.

" debauchery,violence,murder,suicide, and the inevitable end of the marijuana addict:hopeless insanity!"

Who used those old arguments? I said said pot is dangerous, not as dangerous as alcohol, but causes many auto deaths on the roads and hurts people medically (physically and psychologically) especially youngsters. As an aside, would you want your young daughter going to a party with guys and girls where everyone was getting high smoking pot? OK, they could be bringing illegal weed. But once it's legalized, it becomes more prevalent and customary and OK to use. So you know it will be at the party. I'm glad my daughter is an adult.

Does it matter?

Who used those old arguments? I said said pot is dangerous, not as dangerous as alcohol, but causes many auto deaths on the roads and hurts people medically (physically and psychologically) especially youngsters. As an aside, would you want your young daughter going to a party with guys and girls where everyone was getting high smoking pot? OK, they could be bringing illegal weed. But once it's legalized, it becomes more prevalent and customary and OK to use. So you know it will be at the party. I'm glad my daughter is an adult.

Sorry Alan, I was referring to Tirediron's repeated use of marijuana as a "narcotic", references to how dangerous it is, and what degenerates people who use marijuana are. As far as under-young teens smoking pot: that's illegal. However, if the hyperbolic shoe fits...

Marijuana is legal in Oregon. I have lived here my whole life. It's no more spreading to non-users than it was before it was legal. Same degree of usage,percentage wise. Making something legal does not immediately make its use or purchase skyrocket, as you are implying...studies show that degree of use of drugs stays more or less equal under illegal or legal status of the drug in question. What making marijuana legal DOES do though is it takes away police and judicial system authority to send black males to prison for 5 years for a joint of weed that's the equivalent of two glasses of white wine. And it makes it impossible to confiscate a car from a Mexican driver because he has "an ounce of weed" in the vehicle and was thus committing a "felony crime".

Let's take your argument that, if we make heroin legal, that it will suddenly become commonplace, normal,regular. Nope. Millions of people will not suddenly go out and become heroin users. To imply that they will, because of legalization, is spouting the old myths and lies. Reefer Madness all over again. Pot is not "dangerous", any more so than white wine is "dangerous", and beer is "dangerous". Seriously. All pretty similar, except alcohol makes people's motor skills and judgement extremely poor, extremely quickly.

Does it matter?

Sorry Alan, I was referring to Tirediron's repeated use of marijuana as a "narcotic", references to how dangerous it is, and what degenerates people who use marijuana are. As far as under-young teens smoking pot: that's illegal. However, if the hyperbolic shoe fits...

Marijuana is legal in Oregon. I have lived here my whole life. It's no more spreading to non-users than it was before it was legal. Same degree of usage,percentage wise. Making something legal does not immediately make its use or purchase skyrocket, as you are implying...studies show that degree of use of drugs stays more or less equal under illegal or legal status of the drug in question. What making marijuana legal DOES do though is it takes away police and judicial system authority to send black males to prison for 5 years for a joint of weed that's the equivalent of two glasses of white wine. And it makes it impossible to confiscate a car from a Mexican driver because he has "an ounce of weed" in the vehicle and was thus committing a "felony crime".

Let's take your argument that, if we make heroin legal, that it will suddenly become commonplace, normal,regular. Nope. Millions of people will not suddenly go out and become heroin users. To imply that they will, because of legalization, is spouting the old myths and lies. Reefer Madness all over again. Pot is not "dangerous", any more so than white wine is "dangerous", and beer is "dangerous". Seriously. All pretty similar, except alcohol makes people's motor skills and judgement extremely poor, extremely quickly.

Regarding usage by children, it's a mixed bag. From the Oregon article. New Study Highlights Effect of Marijuana Legalization on Oregon Youths
  • Adolescents who were not currently using marijuana did not become more inclined to use after the law was passed.
  • Adolescents who were already using pot “significantly increased” their marijuana use after it became legal.
  • Legalization had less of an effect on adult marijuana use.
Also,:
The National Institute on Drug Abuse suggests that the use of recreational marijuana can “lead to the development of problem use, known as marijuana use disorder, which takes the form of addiction in severe cases.” Some studiessuggest that 30 percent of marijuana users may have a form of marijuana use disorder. Other scientific studies suggest that adolescents are more likely to develop a use disorder if they regularly use marijuana before age 18.

People who use pot or white wine or beer aren't inherently stupid. Most of them are just regular, responsible folks like you and me. Some are educated and smart, some are brilliant, and some are stupid. When it is legalized you won't have any more or less stupidity round there than already exists.

People who use pot or white wine or beer aren't inherently stupid. Most of them are just regular, responsible folks like you and me. Some are educated and smart, some are brilliant, and some are stupid. When it is legalized you won't have any more or less stupidity round there than already exists.

I didn't mean to imply they were stupid before using pot, just that they become stupid afterwards. At least that's the effect it had on me when I was smoking the stuff. But then, my memory isn't what it use to be before using it. :)

Funny i smoked it for years through high school and at concerts then eventually stopped no problems as its none addicting that does not lead to any drug related crimes. no one goes on a robbery spree to get more money to buy more pot or on week long binges like crack heads and alcoholics and there is no comparison to liquor or other drugs that are highly addictive that can put people in crazed state of mind or the need of rehab or 12 steps please. Just legalize it and be done with it then eliminate the street dealers lacing it with toxic chemicals sending people to the ER or Morgue. sell it like cigarettes to people of age appropriate only and use any state taxes collected for road and unsafe bridge repairs.Some people need to smoke it just so they can unwind from being a uptight ass.The worst side effect i ever had was eating bag of cookies,have cotton mouth or forget things short term memory loss wow so dangerous.

Last edited:

In fact you have completely sober people making stupid comments about weed...comparing it to addictive narcotics.

Most reactions

Back