American Widgeons

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got a couple of shots of American Widgeons about 4 years ago and they were really rough. The ducks were way out in the middle of a lake, and it was really more than my 300mm lens and D90 could handle. I've seen some numerous times at the same lake, and each time they were way out in the middle of the lake.

Today I was going to go to the zoo but I forgot that it was the Easter weekend and they have a huge Easter egg hunt for kids on this weekend. Needless to say I couldn't even get in the parking lot so I just kept going. I went to Centennial Park to shoot some of the flowers in bloom, and when I got there I noticed a couple of Widgeons paddling around in the lake. Once again all I had with me was my 70-300 lens and they were out in the middle of the lake. Story of my life. But wait! They were coming a bit closer, and then a bit closer, and finally into decent 300mm range.

2013-03-30-03.jpg

2013-03-30-08.jpg

I didn't even realize that the duck on the left was a hen Widgeon until I got home. There were Mallards all over the place and I thought it was a hen Mallard until I looked closer.

Last edited:
Beautiful detail. Love the open beak in 2. later Ed

Beautiful detail. Love the open beak in 2. later Ed

Yeah, the only thing wrong is that the hen should be squawking at the drake. At least that's the way it is with humans ;)

LOL. So, you've MET my mother, then? :lol:

Nice pictures! I don't know that I've even seen a Widgeon since I started getting serious about bird photography.

LOL. So, you've MET my mother, then? :lol:

Nice pictures! I don't know that I've even seen a Widgeon since I started getting serious about bird photography.
No, but I have met my wife ;)

Their range is primarily the northwest USA and Canada, all the way up to Alaska. Tennessee is right on the edge of their winter habitat and migration route. Most of the times I've seen them around here has been at Radnor Lake which is why I didn't expect to see these at Centennial Park. There aren't many of them around here though, so seeing them is somewhat unique. Details about them are Here.

Scott, nice shots. I like the sharpness that you have managed to capture.

WesternGuy

WesternGuy
Thanks, I appreciate that. The only other shots I had of a Widgeon were so bad that anything would have been an improvement ;)

My gripe with these is that the light was just so completely flat. We had very heavy overcast yesterday, and there was just nothing there.

WesternGuy
Thanks, I appreciate that. The only other shots I had of a Widgeon were so bad that anything would have been an improvement ;)

My gripe with these is that the light was just so completely flat. We had very heavy overcast yesterday, and there was just nothing there.

Start carrying a large Laser emitter light..then you can have light, a good exposure and roast duck all at the same time.

Start carrying a large Laser emitter light..then you can have light, a good exposure and roast duck all at the same time.

Oh, man, I LIKE that idea! Don't even need to take my camera, I'll just bring the roasted ducks home and photograph them here ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back