Americans and Soccer!

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I know this forum has mostly people from the USA, so maybe you can inform me here...

With American bussiness men buying out more and more English Football/Soccer clubs, the most recent being Liverpool FC bought by the Gillett Family. And probibly the biggest name in football David Beckham making a move to L.A Galaxy, Has this had any any impact at all in raising the awareness of football in the USA, or has it all gone unnoticed?

can you see a time when soccer will be a major sport in america?

It might be slightly more popular, but it certainly isn't getting THAT popular anytime soon, IMO.

Let me put it this way... About two nights ago we had the US Soccer team play Mexico here in Phoenix, AZ. There were over 65,000 spectators, mostly Mexicans that came from Mexico and some that live here. Yeah, there were Americans too but in much smaller numbers. Love for Soccer is there but that's not making it become more popular any time soon. The biggest jump in Soccer appreciation was after the ladies won the World Championship the first time.

We've (Arsenal) have just teamed up with Colorado Rapids.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6348067.stm

I'm not sure how all of the "American invasion" in football will affect the overall view of the sport here.

I'm hoping since the Rapids are in their own (new) stadium this upcoming season that it will help them boost support here in Colorado. The profits from their games will actually go to the team -shock horror- as opposed to going to the use of another staduim. In previous years they didn't even get the profits from the concessions at their games :irked:

I think that with players like Beckham esentially coming to the states for a semi-retirement it can't help but boost support. These guys are obviously not going to be playing their hearts out since the quality here is more that of a farm team, but I'm guessing that they'll be more relaxed due to the lack of pressure that comes with advancing their careers.

On a side not I find the paring of Arsenal and the Rapids hilarious since my hubby is a Tottenham supporter (and we've been Rapids season ticket holders). He now has a moral dilema :lmao:

It might make soccer a little bit more popular but I don't think it will have a huge impact.

BTW, I so wish I could watch German soccer on TV over here. Sigh.

It might make soccer a little bit more popular but I don't think it will have a huge impact.

BTW, I so wish I could watch German soccer on TV over here. Sigh.
Don't they still air the bundesliga on FSC?

I think a major part of the increase in popularity is because the immagrant population is expanding. Expecially imagrants from Mexico. My neighborhood, according to the census is over 50% hispanic, and I can testify that the World Cup was as big in my neighborhood as the Super Bowl (and this is in Chicago). I've always liked soccer better myself.

Most reactions

Back