Amira - Goth chick :)

TJPhotoGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Had a shoot with Amira the other night; during which time, my ab400 decided to take a trek through a cheech and chong movie and start sssmokin'! She is a fashion designer actually (www.gothicabyAmira.com) and I've shot some of her stuff before. This time, we did a session with her.

The lighting on this was a bit of a challenge, due to the predominantly quite black attire:

68293164.7WXVgzLV.Image_2733.jpg

As usually, polite CC&C welcome.

Not sure why but I like this photo

I think it's quite good.

If I were to pick a few points to critique...her right hand is at a funny angle and doesn't look natural...and I'd like to see more background light or possibly a hair light because her hair is getting lost into the background.

Have to agree with Big Mike about the hand. My eye keeps getting drawn to it because it's so unnatural looking. I love the chair she's sitting on. Goes well with the subject!

I agree with the above... but I think maybe if her hand pose staid the same but her arm was pulled awayfrom her body and put at more of an angle so she looked a tad more comfortable and natrual on that side it might work.
ad a hair light and its goood!

the only reason i would say change the hand is to help have a slope in the comp. however, i don't think she looks TOO ackward, and fashion photography is full of accepted ackwardness, plus it is a goth chick, whos to say discomfort isnt part of the life style she's selling.

Thanks guys!

I love the hand position here; it's not unnatural, just different, and the edge of it is turned to the camera (a posing "guideline"). It's different and I think that's why the comments, however to us it appears very appealing and feminine, and fits the mood. I also feel compositionally it's balanced out by the tension of what she's doing with her other hand.

As for the hair light, I actually did a have hair light on her, hence the shine - her hair is just soooo black it's hard to get enough on it. Next time I'll put even more. I didn't want a ton of light on it though and I think the amount of light and shineness here works well with the mood of the photo. I was gonig for a "painterly" look here.

The corset was also tough, I had to put hard light on it just to get it to show up.

AprilRamone said:
I love the chair she's sitting on. Goes well with the subject!

It's actually a loveseat, and yes it's a very neat prop; it's in great shape etc. Here's another using it:

64866912.ElxsGzp1.Image_1768.jpg

Thanks again

Slick light. Painterly indeed! I think you did all right with the hands. Hands and arms are very important to the shot. Arguably the hardest parts to get right. Only thing is that her right hand looks like it is coming out of the shoulder. More arm may look better on that side. Black dress on a black couch may also need some rethinking. The second shot is a little rough. Seems like it was sliced as opposed to cropped.

great shots... love them.... and oooooooohhh the memories 'cheech & chong' has brought back!!!! xx I suddenly feel soooooooo old!! Hilarious

jemmy said:
great shots... love them.... and oooooooohhh the memories 'cheech & chong' has brought back!!!! xx I suddenly feel soooooooo old!! Hilarious

Heehee! True dat.

Thanks again guys...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back