Amplification

jdunphy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jacobdunphy.com
I could use some advice on this shot. It was taken with 50mm f1.8 and an SB-800 off-camera ( sticking out of my pocket and aimed at a wall :p ).

Anything you see that you would have done differently, let me know. I'm thinking about reshooting this tonight. :)

My major concerns are the composition relating to the narrow depth of field and the levels of contrast and exposure.

2006_09_07_3.jpg

What are you trying to focus on? For me, the picture looks like it's about the Bass knob. My eyes go to the Fender logo, then move to the bass knob.

I like the composition though, but as you said the DoF is a little narrow. I'd like to see more of the mesh in focus in the lower right.

Just my rookie opinion hehe.

I'm not sure what to look at either. I would try to avoid the focus of the image being so near the center, and the top. You have a tangent where the mid range knob meets the edge of the frame.

Anything you see that you would have done differently, let me know. I'm thinking about reshooting this tonight. :)

Ya, shoot a Gibson! :lol:

Just kiddin'
I like it but...
I would have picked either the frontground or the back ground to be in focus and nt the middle.
Also I would try to get the blurr fade is a litte more gradually away from the focus. Also a wider feild of fcus would be nice.
You did great on the B&W and the type of blur is warrented.
All in all a great shot.
A little more work and it'll be a classic. (not unlike a Gibson!)
J/K

Thanks for the advice posted. I think I'm going to reshoot this one with the focus more clearly put upon the Fender logo. I was loving the "shiny" look I was getting on it. I'm going to up that f-stop a bit too to cut on the blur a bit, especially since my focus will probably end up being further back in the composition.

I would have reshot this tonight, but I decided I'd rather spend two hours on my stomach with a bag of ice on my lower back. :)

Matt: Thanks for the head's up on the tangent. I need to start watching out for that stuff.

Tweek: Here's my Gibson. :p

2006_07_11_1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back