Dracklord

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I photoshopped this into b&w... I've included the original for comparison
new-huber-bw.jpg

And the original color.
new-huber.jpg

Don't be shy.. both are OTE, just tell me what and why

I think it has a character, but it's a little "dull" in the contrast dept. I'd mess with the brightness and contrast a little bit and shadows and highlights. I still think its a great picture..

Yeah, its lacks in contrast. One good way to fix that is to go into curves and make it an s-shape curve to your liking.

Do what in photoshop with curves? Sorry, I'm new to this stuff. Taking the shots with a minolta x-700, these were taken with the 50mm 1:2 standard lens. Only reason I have ps 7 is cause a buddy gave it to me.

Photoshop has a feature called "Curves". "Image"---> "Adjustments"---> "Curves". You will see a single virtical line. When you click on it, little boxes show up. You can create enough of those boxes to create an "S" shape. I haven't done too much with the curves feature, but I'll try this out next time I need to adjust contrast for some B&W Photos.

I like this image in both forms. It has a retro feel to it. If anything, I'd suggest lightening the shadowed areas under the canopy. A bit of on-camera fill flash at exposure time might've worked quite well for it (with the camera upside down so the flash is lower than the lens to prevent the front of the canopy from casting a shadow on the inside of the back of the canopy).

I like the feel, though, and it could be argued that the missing detail in the shadows adds to the retro look.

Since you said it was okay to edit I did
steamtestef9.png

Since im about retro I tried to make it retro. I have a small program that does aged sepia. It raises the contrast as it applies the sepia. I changed the gamma a little. Did a sepia then Tarnished the sepia (desaturated). then I used the airbrush with a little color to tint in spots rathe than tint completely.

The first needs contrast like the others said. But I would even try a sepia look to it. Although the one mysteryscribe did is cool, I think it still needs a little pop and some more of the brown tones.

Interesting. I'm not sure I like b&w for most things, but it seems to fit this image and a few others like it... I will try the sepia, and see if I can get a result I like. I wish I could find a better tutorial on how to use the curves feature, every time I touch it I just make the image look worse.

Dracklord said:
Interesting. I'm not sure I like b&w for most things, but it seems to fit this image and a few others like it... I will try the sepia, and see if I can get a result I like. I wish I could find a better tutorial on how to use the curves feature, every time I touch it I just make the image look worse.
try good-tutorials.com

Most reactions

Back