An entry level camera for shooting music videos/films with good image??

Eternal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody, my first time in the forum.

I'm a musician and recently I've been looking for an entry level (not super professional) DSLR to shoot videos, I must say that I'm not into photography, but videos, to upload them on Youtube, and maybe some other cinematic projects (kind of a hobbie??)

Anyway, I wanted you to recommend me a good Camera with a decent price (cheaper the better I guess??), I've looked on the internet that Nikon has a lot of models, specially in youtube, a lot of people use the Nikon D3100 cam to shoot videos and it doesn't look that bad, they use the D5100, D7000, etc, etc.

But I'd like to know more options since it's always about those Nikons and Cannon cams, could you recommend me a cam that will do it just fine for me??, I only need it for video purposes.

Price range Below 500 USD
1080 fps 30 fps

Thanks in advance, I'll look it up on Ebay and other places locally, see ya! :wink:

Hello everybody, my first time in the forum.

I'm a musician and recently I've been looking for an entry level (not super professional) DSLR to shoot videos, I must say that I'm not into photography, but videos, to upload them on Youtube, and maybe some other cinematic projects (kind of a hobbie??)

Anyway, I wanted you to recommend me a good Camera with a decent price (cheaper the better I guess??), I've looked on the internet that Nikon has a lot of models, specially in youtube, a lot of people use the Nikon D3100 cam to shoot videos and it doesn't look that bad, they use the D5100, D7000, etc, etc.

But I'd like to know more options since it's always about those Nikons and Cannon cams, could you recommend me a cam that will do it just fine for me??, I only need it for video purposes.

Price range Below 500 USD
1080 fps 30 fps

Thanks in advance, I'll look it up on Ebay and other places locally, see ya! :wink:

Hi Eternal and welcome to the forum! At your price point, I would get the Canon EOS M with the 18-55mm kit lens for $337 on sale at Amazon. That's a better price than the lowest price you'll find it for on eBay right now.

The EOS M shoots 1080/24p and 1080/30p, has an external mic jack, a touch screen and decent video autofocus. With a $145 Canon EF Mount Adapter, you'll have access to the full range of Canon EF lenses. This is a great value for your money.

Here is the image quality this camera can produce:

[video=vimeo;55604121]http://vimeo.com/55604121[/video]​

Sadly, the EOS M does not have a viewfinder - so you will have to use the LCD for composition and focus.

If you prefer to shoot with a viewfinder, then you might want to consider a $499 used or $529 factory refurbished Sony A57.

This camera will produce great image quality, has fast video autofocus, shoots at 1080/60p for optional slow motion - and will allow you to shoot video through the viewfinder, something no DSLR can do. I will post a video example from this camera in the next post, since the forum only allows one video per post.

Since you're new to video, I also recommend you do a little reading on basic film and video technique - which will help to improve the quality of your videos and differentiate you from everyone else on YouTube and Vimeo. The starter book I recommend is "How to Shoot Video that Doesn't Suck".

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow, thanks the info, 1080 at 60 fps sounds better than 1080 at 24 fps, is it really a big a difference?, I mean, can the final product be appreciated easily??

The A57 has a lower ISO for low light right??

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks the info, 1080 at 60 fps sounds better than 1080 at 24 fps, is it really a big a difference?, I mean, can the final product be appreciated easily??

The A57 has a lower ISO for low light right??

24p typically gives you that "cinematic look"

60p gives you kind of that home video/documentary look.

However, some filmmakers are experimenting with higher frame rates, like with Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back