An Old, Run-Down Hotel

JDS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jdsnow.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Alexander Inn, In Oak Ridge, TN. It housed some dignitaries during the Manhattan Project which led to the development of the atomic bomb..way back in WWII. People like J. Robert Oppenheimer and Enrico Fermi were physicists that worked on it and stayed there, as well as Secretary of War Henry Stimson.

It is no longer in use, but I think the local people here would just hate to see it torn down since it is such a landmark for Oak Ridge.

1:

2:

3:

4: - Around Back...

Didn't have the best light - shooting right at mid-day. But it was the best chance I had..I've been wanting to shoot this place for some time now...

Thanks for looking - click any of the photos for a hi-res version...

Yeah, there wasn't much more than the building itself there. I'd like to get a chance to go inside it one day..there's bound to be some interesting stuff in there. I just gotta find out who to talk to though.

I think the biggest thing would be to catch the building in sunset or sunrise. If you had a spooky red-orange sunset fall on picture 1 it would make it come alive. Actually that would be true for all of them. And I like picture 3, the converging lines are always interesting, especially with the wrought iron making the detailed shadows on the ground.

As time goes on you don't become a better photographer, you just learn to see the world in much different ways. Mid-day shots aren't all that interesting, with the bright even light. The "magic hour" is usually an hour or so before sunset until sunset -- that always changes things up, whether its odd shadows or completely changing the scene's colors.

I think the biggest thing would be to catch the building in sunset or sunrise. If you had a spooky red-orange sunset fall on picture 1 it would make it come alive. Actually that would be true for all of them. And I like picture 3, the converging lines are always interesting, especially with the wrought iron making the detailed shadows on the ground.
user_online.gif

burtharrris - I know all about the 'magic hour' ;) At this point, mid-day was the only chance I had to get the shots. I'm planning on getting back there in the evening sometime soon. Or if I can get out early enough on my way to work I can take a little detour and get a few shots in.

It'd be cool to get some night shots of it too - especially if the nearby street lights are that orange color...hmm....I could always paint in some light at night too. Now my mind's eye sees all sorts of things...

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I also like Photo 3 best because of the converging lines!
They should think about doing this one up again and putting it back to use, it's a pity to see some building such as this fall into disrepair and later dilapidation!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back