An Old Russian Tank - Zenit E

Good evening everyone!

Last week I bought a Zenit-E from my local junk shop. Being new to film cameras, I knew a few things to check (winding mechanism, shutter etc.) and they were all right, but I neglected a few things. One of those was the Selenium Cell Light sensor - as far as I know mine doesn't work at all (see attached image - the white line should move when light varies, but mine stays put).
View attachment 154395

If anyone knows how I should best deal with this, or if I actually need it at all (alternative methods maybe), then please let me know in this thread.

The second problem is the lens. In theory, it should work. It's a Pentacon 1.8/50 (see it here: Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 MC (M42) Lens Review ). However, upon further reading, I've noticed that the aperture blades don't actually appear to work at all. I haven't yet used the camera as I was waiting for my film to arrive - it now has, and I'm gutted to notice this fault now. That's what I get for being a novice, I suppose :(

Is it an easy fix, or should I look for a totally new lens? It's worth noting that this isn't the one that came with the camera when it was first manufactured, that was a Helios 44-2 58mm (I think), so it's already not ideal.

Being new to film, do you think that I should start afresh and go and buy a new camera and just make sure it works, or is it worth me fixing this one?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated, including general tips for film photography - I'm completely new.

Have a good one everybody,
Louis

I was expecting to see a T34 or some other sort of battle tank

Russian cameras have a VERY bad reputation - since their entry into the market after WW2. I quite like their lenses thou. have several. use them on my leica and range finder Nikon. vin
Not round here, they don't. I have several and they only have the problems that any camera that old is likely to have. They certainly do not need the foam light seals replacing like Japanese cameras do as they do not have them!

Russian cameras have a VERY bad reputation - since their entry into the market after WW2. I quite like their lenses thou. have several. use them on my leica and range finder Nikon. vin
One of the main reasons I'm attracted to this camera was actually the lens, a Helios 44-2 58mm. It's got this really nice, swirly bokeh - however as I didn't check the lens beforehand, I ended up with a Pentacon 1.8/50 which didn't work at all

In the UK we had T.O.E providing additional QC.

Technical & Optical Equipment was formed in 1962 with the object of marketing Russian photographic and microscope equipment. Right at the beginning, two major factors were put at the forefront of Company policy. First, the public must be offered a value-for-money product. Second, and equally important, that product must be backed up by the finest and most reliable pre-sales and after-sales service. This became the Company's watchword and consequently, when the Company moved into its first offices in Earlham Street, London, the first department to be fully equipped was the Workshop.

It was necessary to build up a distribution through the established photographic dealers and it is a well-known fact that any product that is to be stocked and promoted successfully by the dealer must be backed by an adequate stock of spares, plus a fast turn-round on Service. The proof of the success of Technical & Optical Equipment's early policy became apparent when, after only two years of trading, it was necessary to move from their original offices to much larger premises in St. Martin's Lane, London.

By this time, a rapidly growing number of dealers were acknowledging the value for money offered by the early reflex and rangefinder cameras, and were stocking these items in greater quantity all the time. The constantly swelling volume of business has necessitated two further moves, one to Praed Street, and now to the impressive new building, Zenith House in London, N.7., designed specifically for Technical & Optical Equipment's function. The internal layout of Zenith House is divided into specific functional sections which embrace Sales and Marketing, Service and Inspection, Accounts, Sales Administration, Stores and Despatch.

The company regularly organises photographic competitions for users of Russian cameras, with prizes and trips arranged for the winners. The huge response in terms of entries is an indication of the enthusiasm of photographers for Russian products. Not only at the amateur level, but among professionals, too, there is appreciation of the high quality of the cameras themselves, the accessory lenses and other equipment, at prices that make them a viable proposition for the self-financing photographer. Similar competitions have been organised for dealers stocking the Company's products, and received with equal enthusiasm.

The Company's motto is, and always has been "Priority Service", and attention is constantly given to this aspect of the Company's affairs. It gives great satisfaction to all levels of staff at Technical & Optical Equipment that "Priority Service" is not only done, but is always seen to be done, by public and dealers alike.

Design improvements have flowed constantly from the drawing boards of designers at the home factories of Russian cameras since the Company began trading, and this has resulted in the Company being able to offer up-to-the-minute equipment. Mechanically, Russian equipment is built to the same functional and hard-wearing requirements that got the Russian space programme off the ground. The lenses themselves have improved constantly, and enjoy an enviable reputation among discerning users. Such items as the catadioptric MTO500A and MTO1000A lenses have a world-wide reputation for superior performance at an economic price.

Both reflex and rangefinder cameras are well known for efficient and reliable functioning over long periods of time, partly due to the rigid inspection given to each item before being put into stock at Zenith House.

Russian microscope equipment, it might be said, established its own reputation in a short space of time in the United Kingdom. Made to the very highest specification, and with superior design factors and finish, these microscopes are aiding medicine, science, industry and research in schools, hospitals, workshops and universities everywhere. The same priority service attaches to these instruments as to Russian cameras, with which they are often used for micro-photography.

It is Technical & Optical's proudest achievement that they offer the finest service in the photographic trade. All apparatus received from Russia is carefully inspected and packed before despatch to ensure that the dealer receives the equipment not only in pristine condition, but in perfect working order ready for sale.
I'm yet to decide whether they're inherently "reliable" - haven't got to use mine yet

I knew what you meant, I've always used cameras that are called tanks; they could probably double as some sort of heavy metal nunchuks if necessary!

edit - What I meant to say was that Cosina should be pretty nice. They've been making (in relatively more recent years) cameras including I think the newer Voigtlander Bessa rangefinders. I have one, and read awhile back about their company and they seemed to know cameras.

Last edited:
I knew what you meant, I've always used cameras that are called tanks; they could probably double as some sort of heavy metal nunchuks if necessary!

edit - What I meant to say was that Cosina should be pretty nice. They've been making (in relatively more recent years) cameras including I think the newer Voigtlander Bessa rangefinders. I have one, and read awhile back about their company and they seemed to know cameras.
I watched a video on it, and the CSM that I'm getting seems to be a re-badged PROST camera, and they are (as far as I know) pretty good, and reliable. Only time will tell I suppose :)

Cosina are the top camera manufacturer. They have made cameras for Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Zeiss for certain and many other names. They are good enough for Cosina to make many lenses for Zeiss (currently) and made the Zeiss Ikon rangefinder of recent memory. They make all the Voigtlander lenses and made the 35 mm Voigtlander Bessa rangefinders. If you have a camera and find it was made by Cosina, that is a big bonus, quality-wise.

I thought it was a funny. A little humor doesn't hurt sometimes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back