An Osprey's first flight

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Haven't posted in a bit. Went to my favorite Osprey nest and caught this young Osprey possibly in his first flight. He did well, caught a nice breeze, lifted off and made a nice loop. I just got a promaster 1.7x teleconverter, so it makes the Tokina a 510mm F5ish lens... Af still works pretty well. Comments welcome..

Young Osprey first flight 2 by krisinct, on Flickr

Young Osprey first flight 3 by krisinct, on Flickr

Young Osprey - I want to fly too! by krisinct, on Flickr

Young Osprey Over nest by krisinct, on Flickr

very nice. that promaster 1.7 looks to be pretty good. background is still smooth and images are still contrasty as well as sharp. looks like a keeper for when you need extra reach.

nice, they look great!

I've never used a promaster, but I like my nikon 1.7x on the 300 2.8...also if the promaster is like the nikon, its actually something like a 1.666667x, so your exif will show 500mm rather than 510mm...

Fantastic images. Favourites are 2 and 4. I would have loved 4 with slightly more space below his/her talons. The images look very crisp, do you find you lose any sharpness with the teleconverter?

Nicely captured!
Thanks!

very nice. that promaster 1.7 looks to be pretty good. background is still smooth and images are still contrasty as well as sharp. looks like a keeper for when you need extra reach.
I'm pretty surprised how well it worked. My Tamron 1.4x was getting a glitchy..

nice, they look great!

I've never used a promaster, but I like my nikon 1.7x on the 300 2.8...also if the promaster is like the nikon, its actually something like a 1.666667x, so your exif will show 500mm rather than 510mm...
It's and older teleconverter and only 4 element I think. It was like $35 on ebay so it doesn't change the exif info.. The last shot is a pretty small crop like 1500x1300 so I'm pretty impressed. It's way better than the Kenko pro 300 DG 2x.

Here's another shot. This egret was standing right next to the road as I was driving to the Osprey nest... I think somehow it looses less sharpness than the 1.4x..

Egret Test 1.7x promaster by krisinct, on Flickr

I would have loved 4 with slightly more space below his/her talons.
I've kind of developed my own style of close up crops, don't care much for rules :) But in this case I would have left more room underneath, but you can see another osprey head in the bottom right corner and there are 2 twigs that stick up from the branch and I'm generally too lazy to clone things.. This is the next shot .14 seconds later so you can see the branches and the scene better...

Incoming Young Osprey by krisinct, on Flickr

I would have loved 4 with slightly more space below his/her talons.
I've kind of developed my own style of close up crops, don't care much for rules :) But in this case I would have left more room underneath, but you can see another osprey head in the bottom right corner and there are 2 twigs that stick up from the branch and I'm generally too lazy to clone things.. This is the next shot .14 seconds later so you can see the branches and the scene better...

Oh yeah I figured that would have been the case :) The shot you got is amazing, I like it very much.

CC, nice shots. Looks like that new 1.7x is going to be a good match for your gear. Love the head shot of the Egret.

WesternGuy

Gorgeous images. My favorite is the second image of the Young Osprey in flight.

Most reactions

Back