Ancient Sites, Rites or Rituals

wade

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's an image taken this past summer in Belize. Its a Mayan sacrifice, about 1/3 mile into an underground river/cave system:

Link gone :(

(Sorry, its a wee bit large, but its a link from my website)

Wade

yep. I went on the offroad jeep tour. fun stuff before the cruise ship got stuck on a sandbar off the coast of playa del carmen.

Take pictures of historic sites close to you, and tell us about it in your own words...

I'll go first...

Cockspur Island Lighthouse....
p1137786.jpg

Located just off the Atlantic Ocean, at the old entrance to the Savannah River (Georgia) and just beyond Tybee Island (the main lighthouse marking the enterance to the river)...
This little lighthouse was one of several markers (along with Elba Island, and the Savannah Harbor Light. Only Cockspur and Savannah Harbor light still remain.) along the 17 mile cruise from the ocean to Savannah Harbor. It was built in 1857.
In 1863, when the Union soldiers took Savannah, this little lighthouse saw the whole battle between the Union ships, who were positioned around where I was when I took that picture. The confederate troops were in Ft. Pulaski, which you can see in the background of the picture.
Take a look at the damage that the Union ships put on the walls of Ft. Pulaski, which fell after 3 days of fierce fighting...
DSC_6161.jpg

DSC_6162.jpg

The Cockspur Lighthouse never took a scratch from either side, because both sides knew that they needed the light if they won.

More from me to come, because I love shooting historic sites, and history.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back