And more foggy nights...

Puscas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't see Kamilla's thread. I took these pictures a few hours ago in NY, came home and started reading TPF... and saw Kamilla's picture. Well no need for comparison..:blushing:.. just have a look. I know, lots of noise, sorry about that.

christies008.jpg

christies009.jpg

christies010.jpg

Love the vanishing building in #1. Maybe just a tad more contrast? There doesn't seem to be any true blacks.

woodsac said:
Love the vanishing building in #1. Maybe just a tad more contrast? There doesn't seem to be any true blacks.
you are so right. That's my biggest problem; everything seems so gray in a lot of my b&w's. What do I need to do while taking the picture to fix that? Now I've tried to fix it like this. Is this better?:

christies008b.jpg

christies009b.jpg

christies010b.jpg

If anybody can do a better job, be my guest. OTE.

pascal

The edit is an improvement.

Are you shooting b/w in camera, or are you converting? I'm guessing you're shooting with the XT listed in your profile.

If you're shooting b/w in camera, maybe bump the contrast a notch or two. Also, try adding a red filter in camera.

If you're conversion is done post, try using the channel mixer. If you simply desaturate, it just gives you a bunch of grays, usually with no true black or dominate white.

Thanx Woodsac. Yes I'm shooting black & white with my Rebel XT. Hmm, I have to work on the contrast. Because it looks kinda ok on the display, but once on my pc...

pascal

I noticed in your picture profile, that it was in grayscale mode. Grayscale won't give you any better results than desaturating. Your in camera version is probably ok.

I adusted levels, brightness/contrast and gamma, then opened up the shadows just a tad. Might not be what you're looking for though. I just tried to give it a little bit more of a moody feel.

109074509-L.jpg

woodsac said:
I noticed in your picture profile, that it was in grayscale mode

I don't know what this means, nor how you noticed it in my pic profile. Sorry. In my second series I just changed the contrast (I use picture It, it's the only program I have right now to edit images. I'm a true beginner)

woodsac said:
Might not be what you're looking for though.

I like it a lot, especially how you've changed the brick area in the left lower corner. Thanx again.

pascal

When I opened up the picture in PS, it was already set to grayscale. Sorry, I'm not familiar with picture it, so I'm no help there.

To be honest, I always shoot color, then convert. Shooting color does two things. One, sometimes images just look better in color, even though you didn't think they would. You can't go back to color, but you can always convert from color to b/w.
Two, I find that by doing my basic edits in color, then converting to b/w, I get deeper tones. It also helps when you want to apply a colored filter. For example, if you shoot in b/w with a red filter (digital cameras can simulate this) it will give you a very dark and dramatic sky. But once you convert to grayscale, you loose the embeded color information.

As soon as your comfortable with your cameras controls, start shooting in RAW. You'll be amazed how versatile it is. You can download Pixmantec's Rawshooter for free. It fully supports the XT.

And for the 3rd time: thanx. That was really helpful :thumbup:.

And the color to b/w makes sense.

pascal

These photos are brilliant… this type of photos if they take with the tripod can be spectacular, in addition you could put a ISO low, and therefore the time of exhibition more would be elevated. The fog would be as a veil on the buildings. Another day you test, you put a value f/10 for example, that will give the best quality you of the lens, good depth of field, and a high time of exposition… this together with the use of the tripod can turn a photo magician.
I believe that in New York the use of the tripod is prohibited, but are some very good with a reduced size.
Greetings from Spain.

Very nice I like the first shot as it looks like the building is being swallowed

Thanks everybody! And Ozzono, I will give this another try. I don't think that tripods are forbidden in NY though...

pascal

Most reactions

New Topics

Back