twocolor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.twocolorphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Get this, this boy graduates 3 days after his photo shoot . . . hmmmm

Didn't want any shots to hand out to his friends, his mom made him get the shots done for grandparents and what not. That is the very closest to graduation I've ever done senior portraits!

Here they are
btw, don't enjoy shooting boys as much as girls - naturally harder to pose and what not!

2568581853_7af2dd4e6d.jpg

2569406968_c1f4911cb6.jpg

2568581169_44a16e4029.jpg

4. cross country runner - thus the shoes and the watch - times himself?
2569406542_2d49ec5112.jpg

2569406408_bda5a0607d.jpg

2569406298_c13cf6a4f4.jpg

2569406130_512ebeeecf.jpg

8. not really sure of this one. All the shots of him that were full view, were hard for me - his eyes are so deep set, I couldn't get them to look like they were anything but shadows. Plus, I feel the color is a little too much????
2569407250_2b3aa8f1e4.jpg

I think you've done a very nice job but I would watch for cutting off the fingertips like in 2 and 3 (and this is only because I myself do this all the time and get so mad at myself) and the comp in 7 loses his hands at the wrists. But DOF, lighting and focus - very nice.

And yes those boys are tough to pose and stuff.

I think you've done a very nice job but I would watch for cutting off the fingertips like in 2 and 3 (and this is only because I myself do this all the time and get so mad at myself) and the comp in 7 loses his hands at the wrists. But DOF, lighting and focus - very nice.

And yes those boys are tough to pose and stuff.

Thank you! I think my worst offense in photography, is amputation. No matter how many times I catch myself thinking "okay, watch fingers and toes", there's always at least a dozen where I don't think about it, and those are usually the facial expressions or smiles that turn out the nicest. It gets a little frustrating!

definitely is frustrating, I just shot a session as well, and some of my favorites were the ones with no toes and what have you. ARRGH. Doing that session was a bit more difficult cause the girl kept having to push the guy along and encourage him. Girls seem to always want to be photographed whereas guys seem to view it more as a necessary evil.

Anyway, about your photos.
My favorite is probably #1

#2 has something distracting coming out of his head. I can't tell if it's a straw or what.

I like #3 except for the fingers. On it I would probably suggest being farther to the right so that the tree in the background is not close to his head. I think it works, but it's a bit distracting to me.

#4 I really like the B&W conversion.

5 is not bad, though I don't really like the pose very much. IMO it looks almost feminine.

#6 is ok, though again it looks a bit feminine, I guess because of the angle, and the fact that his head is tipped towards his high shoulder.

7 and 8 are both pretty good, I like the casualness of #8... nice shot the bottom right is a little bit distracting to me. It's a different taste than the others because the others all have a nice background, and then this is a bit more grungy (perhaps here the shoes don't fit)

Overall I enjoyed looking through them, please don't take my comments as harsh, I give comments in order to learn as well, so that I can learn to have a keen eye on my own photos.

Nate

Amber: Nate hit on a few things with images five and six. Check out rule 11 of this link for further info on masculine/feminine head tilts.

You might also find some of the info from the main page helpful as well with regard to your husband's comments.

Amber: Nate hit on a few things with images five and six. Check out rule 11 of this link for further info on masculine/feminine head tilts.

You might also find some of the info from the main page helpful as well with regard to your husband's comments.

WOW, I've seen 10 rules of portraiture, and even 15 or 20. But 30+ ! I actually printed this out and stuck it in my business binder (which I take with me EVERYWHERE). This is something I'd love to go over with a highlighter and pencil and make notes! Thanks for the awesome link!

I laughed, about the second link, but there really was some info there on making not so beautiful people more so!! What a world we live in!

Thanks!

Ben has been at this a very long time, studied directly under some of the greats in this business. What you see there is a compilation of his experiences. Great stuff - and he doesn't charge for it! (with a coda of: yet)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back