Andy Warhol - ripping off photographer????

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I was amazed when I learned that the Andy Warhol piece that was sold for more than 71 MILLION dollars yesterday was nothing more than a silkscreening of the same news PHOTOGRAPH over and over, the photograph being of a nasty car crash that appeared in a newspaper.

So, as a photographer I was shocked. I mean, Warhol certainly had a talent of taking something ordinary and repeating it until it changed into something else, but don't you sort of feel for the photographer?

story here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070517/ap_en_ot/art_auction

The yahoo story doesnt go into detail, but from what I understand is he did it without permission.

So I was amazed ...

... something ordinary and repeating it until it changed into something else, but don't you sort of feel for the photographer?

Did he have it OTE?

who the hell says. "A silkscreen of a newspaper?! I have to have that, even if it is the price of 71 amazing houses God forbid I learn how to use photoemulsion to make my own silk screen prints."

I do not feel the photographer cares or is at least concerned. I know if it was my shot I would not care who grabbed it. The photoraph is just a shot of a car crash nothing more nothing less. Mr Warhol transformed it into art. It is more then "a silkscreening of the same news PHOTOGRAPH over and over". The piece is a personal stamp on what he was feeling when he made the illustration.

I know very little of the art market. If a Warhol is worth 71 mill; then I have to be at least worth 5 thousand.

Love & Bass

The photog got paid ... as part of his weekly salary. The photo didn't belong to the photog anyway ... it belonged to the newspaper. So if anyone had a gripe it was the paper.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back