Angela-Glam

Hi April,
I don't think they aren't facing reality at all. I just think that a lot of ladies, me included (and guys for that matter) see themselves only from the front or partial side.

It's not my intention to get into a big discussion about this: but I do like to say that I think there's a difference between using make up and angles to make a person look prettier, and taking off 40 lbs. (I was NOT talking about these pics, but about your example) Like I said, if you would give me a full head of hair and the body of a triathlete, I would know it wasn't me and I would not say 'oh, you've taken the best pics of me ever!'. I think that's where the reality check comes in.
(btw: I wouldn't mind having those pictures of me...:mrgreen:)

pascal

I'm just curious, could you show an original of one of these so we can see the difference?

I'm really curious as to how much retouching you actually did.

Here are the originals next to the complete projects. As you can see, quite a bit of work has been done on all levels.

Before:
IMG_8743orig.jpg

After:
IMG_8743.jpg

So, as you can see, I have no superior qualities in camera. My ability is to see what it can become. And then I make it that.
The way I got there is looking at tons of magazines, especially bride types, and then learning to be the best I could be in photoshop.
Hope that helps.
:)

It's not my intention to get into a big discussion about this: but I do like to say that I think there's a difference between using make up and angles to make a person look prettier, and taking off 40 lbs. (I was NOT talking about these pics, but about your example) Like I said, if you would give me a full head of hair and the body of a triathlete, I would know it wasn't me and I would not say 'oh, you've taken the best pics of me ever!'. I think that's where the reality check comes in.
(btw: I wouldn't mind having those pictures of me...:mrgreen:)

pascal

Check out example number two Pascal. There is a huge difference. While she is a very pretty subject to start with, her skin is very uneven, she has a small amount of acne, large poors, an armpit "vagina", a lumpy elbow, flat hair, and her dress makes her look heavy in the belly area. The photo is flatly lit, there is no gloss in her hair, her eyes are dead and tired, and she has a large bruise on her left arm. Her face is wide at the cheek, her eyes were a different width, her front arm was thicker because she was leaning on it........

Now which do you think she would prefer? Do you think she sees herself as photo number one, or photo number two?

You really do great editing work, I really enjoyed the before and after comparisons. I still stand by my comment on #2, only because the edited version looks like a wig or something in the front on the head. But hey the client is happy, so who cares what my opinion is? ;-)

#1 is a knockout shot. Very good.....and I love what you've done in post for it. #2 and #3 are a bit soft for me on her skin.....but you've already been over that. Love the pose and comp on #3, very cool.

The big question to me always is how much processing is enough when touching up portraits, and do you want the photos to have more of a realistic look to them or more processed to show more of a glamourous side to the subject that normally could not be achieved by just anyone else? In bridal shots, the answer always seems to lean towards the glamour side, and you have certainly mastered that kind of effect.

Do it Pete. I swear you will make a crapload of money. Who doesn't want a flawless photo of themselves? Better than that, they will want EVERY photo in every size you offer.

Actually slice it any way you want it. I give the photo disc to the client but I still make on average $500 on a bridal/engagement and $1500-$2000 extra on a wedding.
Why?
Because the photos are ALL processed and pretty. Everyone looks great. More time? Yep, but I make more than enough to take care of that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back