Animal Parts/Photo book

deekzee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I have had an idea for a long time. I want to shoot specific animal body parts and turn them into a photo book (Just one part of the body throughout :) )

I have been told that I am a great photographer. Currently I have a Canon A85 Powershot...I LOVE IT, BUT i want to get a good camera w/an interchangeable lens. I think I would like a fisheye, and a telephoto of some sorts. I love love love taking photos of nature, and portraits. I was thinking that the Canon Digi Rebel would be good, but the price has not gone down at ALL in the last few years.

Any other suggestions on a good camera to get? Also any computer equipment? I have an external hard drive to store all my pics so thats good, right?

I also would like any suggestions on how to start getting the book published with my photos.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you very much!

Welcome to the forum.

First, before anybody can give you a good answer, I am afraid we need to know the budget you plan to spend on equipment and software.

As far as the price not going down on the Digital Rebel, I personally think you can expect to see that continue (unless the dollar starts getting stronger). What we have seen, and will continue to see (IMHO) is the price point staying about the same, but the feature set of the camera increasing greatly with each generation.

An external hard drive for backing up your pictures is an excellent idea, and should be one of the first things that ANY digital photographer gets (AND USES).

Hey..thanks :)
Well, yes, I would like it to be below $1000.

Ok, well first of all that puts PhotoShop CS3 right out of the picture on the software side of things, but that can come later anyway.

If it were me, I would look at the Digital Rebel (which you already are), the Nikon D40 (some love, some hate), or the Pentax K10D. All of which are available with kit lens in the $600 or less range with a memory card. There are other cameras as well, but those are where I would look.

Once you know the camera you want, then you can figure out what lens/lenses you need from there... but it is kind of pointless to worry about which lens you will choose until you pick out the camera platform you want.

PS Elements and Adobe Lightroom are good choices for software to start out with, but if you are on a budget you can use either Picasa (free) on a PC or iPhoto on a Mac to organize your files and do basic editing.

OK. So what do you all think of the rebel xt? The one for $575 @b&h?

OK. So what do you all think of the rebel xt? The one for $575 @b&h?

The XT is a great entry level DSLR. If you're thinking you may stay on a tight budget for a while, get the XT and not the XTi. When you want to upgrade your body, look into the 30D (or the newest equivalent thereof) and your lenses will be able to migrate with you.

Just my 2 cents, but I think it's decent advice.

I like the Pentax entry level DSLR too, but the Canon a little better. Happy shooting!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back