Annoying PS problem (probably easy fix)

Trace63

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, so Ive had this happen many a time before and I cannot figure out why its happening for the life of me.

Ill be working on a photo, making multiple layers (background copys) for the eyes, skin, lips, etc etc etc. Sometimes out of nowhere, or maybe from a certain thing Im doing that I shouldnt, Ill make another background copy layer and nothing will work. For instance, I was just working in a photo of my girlfriend and had 5 layers done already (all background copies) Then I make another copy, and am about to start her skin and nothing seems to work. I quickly select the brush tool just to see if Im imagining things, and Im not, not even the brush seems to be putting anything on the actual picture. HOWEVER, in the ICON of the picture in the layers pallete when I brushed a few black strokes, even though they didnt come up on the large photo, I could see something beeing done on the small icon picture.

Whats going on here??

Are you on the correct background copy? Layers can be pretty confusing at times I suggest renaming the layers, (layer 1, 2, etc), also if your last work was an adjustment layer then the effects you describe will be happening, you need to select the correct working layer in the layers palette. I also sometimes turn off the visibility of the other adjustment layers apart from my working layer to make it less confusing. H

It might be something as simple as not having the top layer active...or it might be a hardware issue as Matt suggested. Does this only happen when you have several layers?

Most reactions

Back