Annular Solar Eclipse

rdubb1031

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so I'm going to apologize and admit up front this is a last minute rush to figure this out. I haven't searched, but will be next..

I'm sure many have heard about the solar eclipse this weekend. I'm hoping to get to see it here in Denver and want to photograph this. Couple of shots I want is the landscape and my Jeep in the shot.. so not directly on the sun. Can anyone help me set up this shot?

I currently am a novice, but trying to learn. I have a Nikon D80 with an 18-55 and 70-200 (i believe, I'll confirm tonight). all solar filters in Denver were screwed up on order so I was unable to purchase one. I do have a #14 welders lens however, if I can use that.

Ask me questions, help me out.. you guys are the best....:thumbup:

#14 lense should protect you.

Unfortunately, I'm too far east to help you :(

I'll try to get the Venus transit in a few weeks tho.

yeah #14 shade welders glass. It cost me $22 when I bought it from a welders supply store yesterday.

I looked online and saw that in the middle when the corona is completely covered by the moon, then it's safe to shoot w/out a filter. I am at work today and can't get access to a camera store to get a filter, but want to try to get a picture... I'm hoping what I read is true...

I looked online and saw that in the middle when the corona is completely covered by the moon, then it's safe to shoot w/out a filter. I am at work today and can't get access to a camera store to get a filter, but want to try to get a picture... I'm hoping what I read is true...

This is FALSE !!!!

Don't look at the sun regardless of how the eclipse looks !!!

The corona is so large it can NEVER be completely covered by the moon.

If you're thinking of the photosphere.... the disc we see in the sky, yes, that can be covered by the moon. But this is an annular eclipse, meaning the bright part of the sun is not completely covered.

yeah, I just took like 50+ pictures of the eclipse and even at its max coverage, it was still so freakin bright. Maybe if you have a ND filter, you can increase the exposure to something like 1/4000 and increase f-stop to like 32 or something, you can get a picture, but it'll still be too bright IMO.

But you WILL still burn your retina if you looked at it unprotected eyes.

here's my take on it $Untitled-1.jpg

Yeah this is what it looks like at f/32 1/4000 ISO 200
i-XP4QLvd-M.jpg

Used Control My Nikon to fire from my computer, and to change the settings around to see what I liked best.

Yeah this is what it looks like at f/32 1/4000 ISO 200

Used Control My Nikon to fire from my computer, and to change the settings around to see what I liked best.

Nice work. What lens did you use?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back