Another Attempt at B&W

schumionbike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I posted my first attempt at BW a few days back where I switch the setting to B&W on my digital camera and shoot random things. I was advise to shoot in color first and then conver it to b&w on the computer and I would get better result. So how do you guys like it now? I like it better, I still don't know what I'm doing on the B&W photo, I just adjust the contrast randomly until it look kind of cool when I was editing it in Picture It! 7.0. Any comment or suggestiont would be great. Thanks guys.

You seen the first one before, I just reshoot it in color and did the conversion.
1)
Picture659edited.jpg

2)
Picture659editedBW.jpg

3)
Picture665edited.jpg

4)
Picture665editedBW.jpg

Looks much better converting it to B&W on your computer than letting your camera do it before. :)

hey, thanks for the encouragament. Which one do you like better, the color pictures or the black and white ones? I'm still undecided. =)

Well done on the reshoot, this time you included the vertical part of the banister which you cropped off in your other, only-b&w-pic.

As to colour or b&w ... it really much depends on what you want to achieve. Colour photography, of course, always reflects things more "as they are to the eye", so to go for b&w always is one step towards abstraction. For we don't SEE in black and white and grey ... we see the world in colour. Is it the abstraction that you want?

Further, black and white emphasises other things, anything graphic will come out more, like the lines and shapes (triangles created by the lines, squares, rectangles, you know?). If you want to put an emphasis on that, yes, take out the colour and stress the graphical aspect of this photo.

Oh, I prefer the first to the second here, by the way. I find the second too close-up yet not close enough to be a real, total abstract.

LaFoto, thanks for the detailed analysis between B&W versus color photograph. For me, the B&W and their color counterpart are two completely different pictures and they tell different stories as well as leave different impressions on you, I just didn't know why before, now I can see where it is coming from.

As for which composition is better, I'm leaning toward on the second set but I would like to hear people opinions to see if I'm going in the right direction.

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back