Another attempt

Playboy_Mommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So these are from my second outing with my camera. Thoughts? Advice? Critique?

Sent from my iPhone

Attachments

• $image-3390119067.jpg
    $image-3390119067.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 100
  • $image-4293568666.jpg
    $image-4293568666.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 90
  • $image-699635285.jpg
    $image-699635285.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 93
  • $image-335117367.jpg
    $image-335117367.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 100
  • $image-2973723268.jpg
    $image-2973723268.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 106
  • $image-1584172236.jpg
    $image-1584172236.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 100
  • $image-2739180019.jpg
    $image-2739180019.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 107
Lots of decrepitation.

I don't expect commentary on all of them; if there's anything that jumps out about one or two specific photos, I'd appreciate any constructive criticism. So yeah....if you maybe see one thing about one photo that you could give me advice on how to improve, that would be nice. Or don't. That's fine, too. I'm new to all of this - photography and the forum. Sorry I don't know the unspoken rules about how many pictures I'm allowed to post at one time. I'll keep that in mind if I post any in the future.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't expect commentary on all of them; if there's anything that jumps out about one or two specific photos, I'd appreciate any constructive criticism. So yeah....if you maybe see one thing about one photo that you could give me advice on how to improve, that would be nice. Or don't. That's fine, too. I'm new to all of this - photography and the forum. Sorry I don't know the unspoken rules about how many pictures I'm allowed to post at one time. I'll keep that in mind if I post any in the future. Sent from my iPhone
Without a doubt, you know your way around a camera. With that being said, you're at the point where you should only post your best shots. Nothing here stands out. They're good, but nothing spectacular- not that that's a bad thing. Spectacular to your friends, I'm sure. But it's time to up the game for yourself and the members here. Post one or two photos, explain what you were trying to attempt, identify what you feel as being weak, get a critique.

Without a doubt, you know your way around a camera. With that being said, you're at the point where you should only post your best shots. Nothing here stands out. They're good, but nothing spectacular- not that that's a bad thing. Spectacular to your friends, I'm sure. But it's time to up the game for yourself and the members here. Post one or two photos, explain what you were trying to attempt, identify what you feel as being weak, get a critique.

Thank you. That's actually very helpful. Any suggestions for upping my game? I really am still learning my way around the camera - these shots were for week 2 of my Basic Photography class if that's any indication for you of how new I am to this. So I'm just now FINALLY understanding aperture and shutter speed and figuring out how to achieve the look I want while shooting in manual mode. So what now? Is it my technique that needs work? Composition? How do I get that "wow factor?" Is it my subject matter that's boring?

I really do appreciate your feedback. Thank you so much.

Michelle

Sent from my iPhone

Honestly, I think you're doing great work for someone just two weeks into their beginning photography course. Your photos certainly show that you know how to use a camera and use it well.

The "wow" factor is, to some degree, subjective. As I look at your photos, nothing jumps out at me . . . nothing "pops". But that's just me. There are many times when I look at a photo on this site that others think are fantastic and I think "meh". I'm sure people think the same about many of my photos. I would suggest surfing a site like 500px.com and really looking at photos that you like. Then ask yourself - why do I like these photos? What is it about these photos that draws me in? I think that can go a long way to helping you find that "wow" factor.

Good luck, and keep up the good work. I always try to remind new photographers of a (modified) line from Throw Momma From the Train - Photographers photo . . . always.

I am very new to photography as well. You seem to know how to use depth of field and the pictures are good but in opinion I agree with other critiques that nothing pops. What I did was look at others photos on here and other places and found a certain style or type of imagery I wanted to concentrate on and used that to focus on. Again just my opinion but in the beginning it's nice to have direction and focus on getting one thing down at a time. You have a good idea of your camera settings so good job. I am focusing on surf photos and landscapes. Easy to get decent photos with certain subject matter and then start expanding into other areas as you develop your skills. Keep at it and for sure keep posting because it's the best way to learn. My friends all love my photos but they are my friends and I like to have an opinion of seasoned photographers. Keep at it and I look forward to seeing progression.

Thank you. That's actually very helpful. Any suggestions for upping my game? I really am still learning my way around the camera - these shots were for week 2 of my Basic Photography class if that's any indication for you of how new I am to this. So I'm just now FINALLY understanding aperture and shutter speed and figuring out how to achieve the look I want while shooting in manual mode. So what now? Is it my technique that needs work? Composition? How do I get that "wow factor?" Is it my subject matter that's boring? I really do appreciate your feedback. Thank you so much. Michelle Sent from my iPhone
Colnago nailed it. Subject is subjective, but most everyone can agree that a truly boring subject is boring. Surf around and find what you like and try to replicate. This way, you have a goal and can work towards developing the technique and eye for it. Once you've gotten good at it, you'll never master it, move on to something else. But as you find this subject that you enjoy shooting, you'll find yourself shooting much less and more precise, which translates to lower image quantities for critiquing.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the suggestions. I've been checking out the different galleries here and looking at the various subjects, studying the photos and making notes of what I like - subject, angle, lighting, etc. I've also been poring over Sally Mann's work - her images are stunning! I also love Richard Avedon's "The American West," and Michael Morris's "Rural Kentucky." I'm getting a better idea of where I want to go as far as subjects, but I still want to try out different things and then decide what I really feel a passion for.

Sent from my iPhone

Looking at these pictures, it is difficult to tell what you want us to see and, even more, why that is important/interesting to show.

Always combining something close with something far away doesn't make the photo interesting.
Be very certain what you see that you want to capture, then frame and compose around that.
Good pictures have that certainty.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the suggestions. I've been checking out the different galleries here and looking at the various subjects, studying the photos and making notes of what I like - subject, angle, lighting, etc. I've also been poring over Sally Mann's work - her images are stunning! I also love Richard Avedon's "The American West," and Michael Morris's "Rural Kentucky." I'm getting a better idea of where I want to go as far as subjects, but I still want to try out different things and then decide what I really feel a passion for.

Sent from my iPhone

I would also suggest you look at Aaron Siskind's work, at least based on some of what you posted above.

Looking at these pictures, it is difficult to tell what you want us to see and, even more, why that is important/interesting to show. Always combining something close with something far away doesn't make the photo interesting. Be very certain what you see that you want to capture, then frame and compose around that. Good pictures have that certainty.

These photos were for my homework assignment for week 2 of my Basic Photography class. I was shooting specifically to show depth of field, as that was the focus of the assignment.

Sent from my iPhone

Well, if this was your home work, then can you tell us which aperture you used for each photo, and what your intent was with the DOF for each photo? I may have missed it, but there is no EXIF info on the pictures, so were you in manual or auto, what kind of camera and lens????? Did you have requirements to shoot a shallow and a deep DOF, and did you make it??

Most reactions

Back