another critique please

jeniferbwa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I am using PSP Photo XI.. I wasn't using any editing software before if you remember.. so I played around with another picture. I'm still learning how to use it so all I did was crop, sharpen and straighten it. Is there anything else I can do to it? I took it while she is watching her favorite show so thats why she is looking like that. Btw, i'm supposed to be getting photoshop later from one of my husbands coworkers so we will see how that works out.
yes005-1-1.jpg

great catch light in the her eyes (and her drool haha). its a little past the borderline of too bright one the left. fills the frame nicely. if i had to do anything tho, i would have used a reflector on the right to bounce back some light so that her right side isnt as dark. slight motion blur, but thats ok.

there are some unpleasant highlights in her face if the image was more underexposed, you could probably still heal that.

the way it is now, the most important part of the image (the face), lacks contrast and detail.

Haha, yeah it is really hard lately to get photos of her without drool in them.. does her face lack contrast and detail because there was too much light on it? What can I do to fix it?

jeniferbwa -

What can I do to fix it?
Right after you shoot it, check the histogram. See all that data all the way over to the right edge on the histogram? It needs to be further to the left. Stop down the aperture OR shoot a faster shutter speed OR use a lower iso, and move that data to the left a little, away from the right edge.

Then it will look more like this. I just made it darker with curves in Photoshop. Sorry, I'm not familiar with your program.

Hope this helps some.

122914372-L.jpg

when you get PS also try using the saturation adjustment to bring out the skin tone a little more....just make sure you use the color selective saturation....

jeniferbwa -

Right after you shoot it, check the histogram. See all that data all the way over to the right edge on the histogram? It needs to be further to the left. Stop down the aperture OR shoot a faster shutter speed OR use a lower iso, and move that data to the left a little, away from the right edge.

Then it will look more like this. I just made it darker with curves in Photoshop. Sorry, I'm not familiar with your program.

Hope this helps some.

Thank you for the very specific advice, very helpful!

when you get PS also try using the saturation adjustment to bring out the skin tone a little more....just make sure you use the color selective saturation....
:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back